6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 6:26 PM by GoproguyTonga

Why is LR not deleting my photos?

GoproguyTonga Level 1

Hi, I have LR 4.4 on a windows 8.1  64-bit computer with 8gb ram and 2gb video ram. It has a i7 4700 processor and a Nvidia GTX 765m graphics card. I am in the library module, in the loupe view, looking at photos and video. When I open the program it will let me "delete from disk" only ONE photo or video. After that it won't let me delete or move anything. I mean "Delete from disk" not "Remove from LR" Thanks

• 1. Re: Why is LR not deleting my photos?
          DdeGannes Level 5

Library Module, you have to go to "Grid View" and select multiple photos from the main display. Selecting from the film strip will not work it is so by design.

• 2. Re: Re: Why is LR not deleting my photos?
            GoproguyTonga Level 1

First of all, before two days ago when this started I could delete directly from the film strip. But I just tried to right click on the picture itself ( in loupe view) and it still won't let me delete from disk.

OK, you are right, I can go to grid view and it will let me delete them. But I want it to work like it used to. Is there a setting or preference that might have changed?

Anyway thanks for the tip, at least now I can work on them without having to close and open the program every time I need to delete a photo.

• 3. Re: Why is LR not deleting my photos?
              DdeGannes Level 5

"But I want it to work like it used to. Is there a setting or preference that might have changed?"

That only will happen when you are working with a collection if you select photos in the filmstrip and hit the delete button they will be removed (deleted) from the collection but the the original photo will still be on the disk.

You cannot delete from disk while working with images in a collection.

Collections in Lightroom appear as a folder in the Library left panel but they are not actual folders on your disk and do not contain actual photo files or copies of them. The info about collections is in the Lightroom Catalog File.

Have a look at the video tutorial about the Lightroom Catalog if you need to get a clear understanding about how it functions.

The Lightroom Catalog | George Jardine on Lightroom | Adobe TV

• 4. Re: Why is LR not deleting my photos?
                GoproguyTonga Level 1

It is not a collection, it is a folder on my hard drive (it is the internal hard disk). I have used the smart collections and dislike the fact that you "can't delete from a smart collection". But I am not using a collection, I am using a folder.

I will look at my preferences and see if one of them changed.

Another question I have is, "is it normal for lightroom to put XMP files right beside your photos?

DdeGannes wrote:

That only will happen when you are working with a collection if you select photos in the filmstrip and hit the delete button they will be removed (deleted) from the collection but the the original photo will still be on the disk.

What will only happen?

• 5. Re: Why is LR not deleting my photos?
                  DdeGannes Level 5

If you are working with a collection in the Library Module and you select several images in the filmstrip then hit the delete key the images will be removed (deleted) from the collection (no popup warning). I do not use smart collections so I am not sure what happens when working with them.

• 6. Re: Why is LR not deleting my photos?
                    GoproguyTonga Level 1

I figured it out. I am working with videos and LR won't let me delete them

if I have them selected. In other words I can only delete stuff if it is *not

*selected.   But thanks for your help anyway

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:26 AM, DdeGannes <forums_noreply@adobe.com>