20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2015 7:07 PM by olivere139676

Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon

TeeSchneider Level 1

I've created a kids book with inDesign CC which works fine on iPad but when I upload the book to Amazon KDP, the font which is a truetype font and not protected doesn't display properly. It has unusual spacing between the charaters and sometimes the letters overlap each other.  Can i embed this font somehow to have it display properly? I can't find an option anywhere to do that. Or will I have to change the font entirely?  Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ask in the relevant forums and provide much more info like what font and formatting you actually used and so on.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
            TeeSchneider Level 1

i'm sorry, I can't figure out what the relevant forum would be if not inDesign?

• 4. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
              TeeSchneider Level 1

Thanks and my apologies.  Ok the font I was using was Allatuq Regular which to my understanding is supposed to be fine. The book is a fixed layout epub which I then opened with Kindle previewer which converts the file to a .mobi. The file previews fine in the desktop kindle previewer (and validates for ipad) but when uploaded to Amazon, the text breaks. There are weird spaces between the words and then some of the letters of the words display over each other.

• 5. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                Ellis home Level 4

I would check with KDP support. Kindle previewer is supposed to be WYSIWYG but I'm not sure if Kindle supports fixed layout.

• 6. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                  TeeSchneider Level 1

Kindle does support fixed layout.  I think it might just be the font. I'm going to swap and out and see what happens.

• 7. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                    pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi,

Looks like you are not facing issue with Kindle Previewer but after uploading to KDP, the formatting gets distorted. Is it that the font itself does not display and changed to some other font or there are spacing issues with the words or overlap of characters seen?

Regards,

Pooja

• 8. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                      TeeSchneider Level 1

I was facing the issue with the online previewer and the post-purchase file but not the pre-purchase file with the desktop previewer. I believe I have solved my issue by going to OTF instead of TTF that are licensed specifically for embedding into ebooks. Also, properly embedding the files by removing the encryption file and replacing the obfuscated fonts with fresh versions. Thus far I'm getting consistent previews with the online and desktop previewer. The final test will be the post-purchase file and then trying it on devices.

• 9. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                        AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

Tee, "properly embedding" the fonts as you described is in violation of the font licensing, I'm pretty sure. Especially that part about "replacing obfuscated fonts with fresh versions."

AM

• 10. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                          TeeSchneider Level 1

Hi Anne Marie,

I'm using OpenType fonts with licenses that allow for embedding in ebooks specifically. I had to change my fonts completely and use only those that are permitted. My understanding is that the obfuscation is something Adobe Indesign does to protect Truetype fonts or other fonts that are don't have appropriate licensing from being distributed via the ebook. At least that is my understanding...

• 11. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                            AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

I'm referring to what Caleb Belohlavek, Principal Product Manager of Adobe Type posted on the forums:

Embedding Fonts in an ePUB

• 12. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                              TeeSchneider Level 1

I didn't get my fonts via adobe, but I suppose if it's an OTF then they own it? If this is the case then I'm really in trouble because with a fixed layout epub kids book, where I need to specify exactly how the font appears ie. size, position etc, this is the only way I've had success. Ugh.

• 13. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                Yves Apel - IC Level 2

Hi Tee,

you can't convert the InDesign generated fixed layout ePub to an Amazon fixed layout mobi. Kindle Previewer and KindleGen do not have this feature set integrated. In addition, please carefully read the license agreement from your font vendor. Even if you have the ePub license of the font, usually there is somewhere a condition that the font needs to be obfuscated as well as substituted. InDesign makes both for ePub.

Kindle does not know obfuscated and substituted fonts. If they appear in Kindle Previewer after the conversion from ePub, it is because the font is loaded by the system or the font was not obfuscated in ePub. If the first case applies and you copy the mobi to the device, the fonts will not display anymore (except those fonts preinstalled by the reader). Since Kindle (Previewer or KindleGen) does not do any font obfuscation (at least I don't know a way), it is not allowed by most font vendors for Kindle. Thats possibly also the reason, why it is called an "ePub license" and not an "ePub and Kindle" license.

Now we could start the discussion if the font in enough obfuscated in Kindle due to the fact that the Kindle Format itself is not as easy to crack open as the ePub format. But this is finally again a decision of the font vendor.

1. In your case, I would first ask to the font vendor if the font is allowed to be embedded into mobi "as is" (without obfuscation/mangling and without being a subset of the original).

2. Read the Amazon Publishing Guidelines on fixed layout  (http://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/AmazonKindlePublishingGuidelines.pdf)

3. You have now the choice to modify your InDesign generated fixed layout ePub to the specifications from Amazon or you could recreate the Amazon fxl version from scratch (retaking snippets from the InDesign fxl ePub). I've learned that both isn't funny nor something you do in 5 minutes.

4. If the font vendor allows the embedding "as is" into the mobi, replace the fonts in the "ePub/your fxl folder" by the originals taking the naming scheme as InDesign did for the ePub.

5. Delete the "encryption.xml" if you have chosen to modify the existing fxl ePub

6. Drag your modified ePub or the opf file (if redone from scratch) to Kindle Previewer or Kindlegen

Now, you have a fixed layout kindle version.

You may also use Jutoh for fixed layout. This might be faster as mentioned, once you know how to handle Jutoh.

Kind regards,

Yves

• 14. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                  TeeSchneider Level 1

Hi Yves,

Ok first...Terms of my font license are as follows:

PERMISSION & CONDITIONS

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of the Font Software, to use, study, copy, merge, embed, modify, redistribute, and sell modified and unmodified copies of the Font Software, subject to the following conditions:

1) Neither the Font Software nor any of its individual components, in Original or Modified Versions, may be sold by itself.

2) Original or Modified Versions of the Font Software may be bundled, redistributed and/or sold with any software, provided that each copy contains the above copyright notice and this license. These can be included either as stand-alone text files, human-readable headers or in the appropriate machine-readable metadata fields within text or binary files as long as those fields can be easily viewed by the user.

3) No Modified Version of the Font Software may use the Reserved Font Name(s) unless explicit written permission is granted by the corresponding Copyright Holder. This restriction only applies to the primary font name as presented to the users.

4) The name(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) or the Author(s) of the Font Software shall not be used to promote, endorse or advertise any Modified Version, except to acknowledge the contribution(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) and the Author(s) or with their explicit written permission.

5) The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole, must be distributed entirely under this license, and must not be distributed under any other license. The requirement for fonts to remain under this license does not apply to any document created using the Font Software.

Yes, I had already removed the encryption and replaced the fonts. What I hadn't done was include the font licence which I will now do.

As for converting to .mobi, I have now done it several times. I am using inDesignCC which has the options available within so I'm confused about:

you can't convert the InDesign generated fixed layout ePub to an Amazon fixed layout mobi. Kindle Previewer and KindleGen do not have this feature set integrated.

Kindle previewer converts my book no problem other than the issues I've been having with the font...now i'm really confused...

• 15. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                    Yves Apel - IC Level 2

Ok, for the font. Looks like a SIL version of the license or similar.

But you have fixed layout ePub available in CC. That's really strange as fxl has been added since CC 2014 only?

In addition, your Kindle previewer is converting a fixed layout epub generated by InDesign into a fixed layout mobi, retaining everything except showing the right fonts? No overlaying characters. No transparency problems or cropped images problems on the devices (not kindle previewer). Bullets are placed on the same baseline as for ePub? Small images show in a readable quality?

Wow, I'm jealous. My projects don't work so seamless.

If I replace the fonts by the originals, they show up in fxl mobi. Did you use the same naming convention for the fonts (as InDesign did) on replacement?

[EDIT] Btw: Where did you get these special license for the Allatuq font. They are different to the one, myfonts.com offers for this font (Allatuq - Buying choices « MyFonts) even if they allow Kindle embedding (with obfuscation).

• 16. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                      TeeSchneider Level 1

Hi Yves,

Yes, it is an SIL license. I am not using Allatuq anymore, I switched to Quicksand which I got from fontsquirrel.com.

Yes, there is a fixed layout epub option in inDesign CC 2014:

fixedlayout.jpg

It even has some default sizing options though I have gone with a custom size to account for larger devices, desktop reading etc and am hoping that it's going to work.

kindlesizing.jpg

The Kindle previewer (desktop version) displays perfectly.

previewer.jpg

The online previewer has had some display issues with what looks like drop shadows on some images but i'll need to look at the actual file on multiple devices to see what the reality is.

dropshadows.jpg

There are some inconsistencies between how the fonts look in the previewers. The online one is not perfect and the desktop previewer displays exactly as designed so again, I won't really know until I can get my hands on the devices. There is also a sizing issue with the online previewer that the desktop previewer doesn't seem to have. And then there will be the issue that the "purchase" file isn't consistent with the preview file you download so not sure how it will all pan out yet.

I had lots of overlapping and other character spacing issues until I changed my font to the OTF Quicksand with the SIL License. I'm hoping the drop shadows are just an issue with the online previewer.

And I'm hoping my conclusion is correct that the OTF with the SIL licenses work for embedding so long as you remove the encryption and replace the encrypted font with the orignal version (and include the license). And I'm hoping that is allowed.

• 17. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                        Ellis home Level 4

I still think you should check with KDP support. I have had very good experiences with them when facing display issues. They have been very helpful. Good luck with your project.

• 18. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                          Yves Apel - IC Level 2

Hi,

I wondered already.

Not to make panic, but you will also see more such differences when its on the final device. For Kindle, the best thing is to test on the final device like a Kindle Fire Tablet. The online viewer as well as the desktop previewer are just simulators and will never show the final result. Unfortunately, the markup that InDesign generates for fxl ePub is not perfect for the conversion needs of Kindle. It is possible that the "Drop Shadow" is a simple 1 px border. For some reasons InDesign generates values such as border-width: 0px; and border-style: solid; for frames which do not have a border.

Upon conversion to Kindle, there will be strange things happening with such pieces of unnecessary code. But Adobe is not giving official support for kindle, neither promoting it. Thats why the support in this forum almost ends after having created the ePub file. InDesign is not Kindle production machine. And since even Amazon seems not interested in developing a working plugin for InDesign CC, why should Adobe do for them. I can understand this, even if a direct kindle export is on my wishlist, too.

Maybe better, you take contact with the KDP support.

• 19. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                            TeeSchneider Level 1

Thank-you Ellis and Yves, yes I think I will try the support route.

• 20. Re: Fixed layout ePub not display truetype font properly when uploaded to Amazon
                                              olivere139676 Level 1

I am having pretty much this exact same problem.. Did you ever figure out a solution??