8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 10:15 AM by A.T. Romano

Sound file locked

sinnott4

I have just spent two days putting together a video.  I inserted several mp3 files in the Soundtrack and now all of the files are locked and I cannot select them or modify them.  Is there a way to select and remove?  I am running PE 11.

• 1. Re: Sound file locked
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sinnott4

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running?

In what workspace are you working - Expert or Quick? Whichever one, have you tried addressing the issue

by going to the other workspace temporarily and trying to resolve the issue there?

Have you added any narration to this project using the Premiere Elements 11 Narration Tool?

What is the source of these .mp3 files?

What is the size of the project when the soundtrack content is not manageable?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Sound file locked
            sinnott4 Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I am running on a Dell Inspiron laptop with 12 G of memory and the operating system is MS 8.0.  I was using Expert Mode, just tried the other mode and still have the same issue.  The files were downloaded from YouTube using an on-line mp3 converter.  The files play great and I was able to use the Audio Mixer Tool to change volumes during portions of the video.  I am now unable to change the volumes or even select the files in the Soundtrack.  I can use the mixer to change the volumes in the audio track associated with the video track.

This is about a 1 hour video with several mp3 tracks used for background music.  The shortest one is about 2 minutes and the longest is about 12 minutes.  They all play fine in the video and I just checked and they all still play fine with the Windows player.

I am attempting to download version 13, however it has stopped and I am going to re-start it to try that.  I am not using the narration tool, I am using titles, however I don't believe that has any connection to the problem.

Thanks very much for you help, I have over 2 days in this project and hate to start over.

• 3. Re: Sound file locked
              sinnott4 Level 1

I just want to add that I tried to remove the file from the timeline and cannot select it, so I cannot remove it and start over.

• 4. Re: Sound file locked
                A.T. Romano Level 7

sinnott4

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any protection issues involved in your soundtrack source? And, are these Stereo or 5.1 Channel audio  soundtracks?

What is your Premiere Elements 11 project preset?

If you hit the Undo button once or a few times, does that have any impact on the issue?

You say that you cannot move nor delete the soundtrack content, does that include not being able to move one of the soundtracks

up to the Narration Track or an empty numbered audio track?

Can you find the soundtrack thumbnail in Project Assets? If so, is the program not allowing you to delete the soundtrack thumbnail there?

If you highlight the soundtrack thumbnail in Project Assets, select Replace Footage, browse to the original on the hard drive, and click Open,

does the replacement of the soundtrack have any impact on the situation?

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to find out where the Media Cache scratch disks are directed. Go to that location

and delete the contents of the Media Cache File Folder. Does that have any impact on the issue?

Please review and consider the above troubleshooting approaches and let us know if any worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...depending on the results, you may want to explore using .wav instead of .mp3 soundtracks.

• 5. Re: Sound file locked
                  sinnott4 Level 1

The audio files are standard 2 track stereo.  I was able to remove the tracks by deleting the file from the Project assets, thank you for that suggestion.  I was also able to move the audio files to audio track 3 and use the audio mixer.  I can use this track to finish my project. 

I still cannot get the files to go into the soundtrack or the narration track.  I did another test, and that was to open a new video and tested putting the audio files in the Soundtrack with absolutely no problem.  I don't know if there is a setting in the long video I have created that does not allow me to put the audio files in either the Soundtrack or Narration track.

I have searched for the computer to find the Media Cache File and have not been able to locate it.  According to the settings, it should be at Sinnott (My name), Application data, roaming, adobe, media cache files but I cannot seem to find it, would it be a Hidden File?

I have used mp3 files in the past with absolutely no problem and it appears to work fine on a new project.

Thanks for all your assistance,

George

• 6. Re: Sound file locked
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Wonderful news. And, great job working through the troubleshooting.

I like to point the Media Cache Files Folder to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11 in your case rather

in the default location that Adobe selects.

Double check that Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is selected. In Windows 8 64 bit, I believe

you start with File Explorer and the Folder Options/View Tab and scroll down to this option there.

But, if you got as far as Roaming, I suspect it may not be hidden in this instance. Please check the path..did you look

in the Common folder in the Adobe Folder which is in the Roaming Folder and so on...please refer to screenshot.

The target is the folder named specifically Media Cache Files.

MediaCache.JPG

Very pleased that you have found solutions for this audio issue. If the problem should return, maybe look at the frequency

of occurrence of the problem related to mp3 versus wav.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Sound file locked
                      sinnott4 Level 1

Thank you very much for the work around.  You just saved me about 2 - 3 days of work!

I will check for the files when I complete the project.

George

• 8. Re: Sound file locked
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Great news that the workaround will enable you to get through your current project.

Locked Narration Track and/or Soundtrack have been difficult issues to overcome in several versions of Premiere Elements

in spite of the fact that Premiere Elements does not have a lock track option. The workarounds are available (some

work, some do not), and the whys are typically not there.

We were glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR