8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 3:53 PM by A.T. Romano

changing formats

Newaryon

Does Adobe Premiere Elements support changing file formats, like changing DVD files in .VOB format over to .MPG or .AVI files that can be viewed on most computers?

• 1. Re: changing formats
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Newaryon

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Generalizing...you can bring  DVD-VIDEO video files VTS_01_1.VOB and others in that series to the Premiere Elements

Timeline and export them to various formats. For Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13, see Publish+Share/Computer

For Premiere Elements 11 and 12

12 WED.JPG

In Premiere Elements 13, there is no web DVD.

In Premiere Elements 11 and 12, under Publish+Share/Computer/, you will find

Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD, XAVC-S, Windows Media, QuickTime, Image, and Audio.

In Premiere Elements 13, same lineup except Adobe Flash Video is gone.

We could also go into more details on how you are getting the DVD-VIDEO video files into the program

a. Add Media/Files and Folder from the hard drive save location of already copied DVD-VIDEO video files

b. Add Media/DVD cameras or computer drive/Video Importer

and the consequences of that on any audio out of sync on the Premiere Elements Timeline

Please review and consider. Need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: changing formats
            Newaryon Level 1

To be more specific:

I think I will upgrade to Premiere Elements 13 to complete this project, as my old version was 7 and only ran on an older, slower computer.

The computer I am using now is up-to-date and configured as a gaming computer running Windows 7.

The files I need to transfer were copied to DVD from old VHS tapes by by a professional service.

They appear to be in .VOB format with additional .BUP and .IFO files which I believe are used to index the disk.

They play fine on my Xbox but Windows Media Center doesn't seem to know how to play them.

I need to be able to play these files and convert them to a format which will run on most computers or could be uploaded to websites.  I'm making portfolio of past work.

So it sounds like upgrading to Premiere Elements will do the job, if I add Media Files from the CD I have.  Then I can edit the portfolio and export it.  I will have to research which format would be best for the output.

• 3. Re: changing formats
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Newaryon

Thanks for the reply.

If Premiere Elements 7 project file involved.....

There is no guarantee that a project created in Premiere Elements 7 Windows will open in Premiere Elements 13 Windows.

If you are going to give it a try, then please work from a copy of the version 7 project.prel and not the original. Otherwise, you run

the risk of not being able to edit again in 7 if things to do work out in 13. Since the original computer is being taken out of the equation,

I would suggest that you consider archiving the version 7 project (File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project option) to get the Copied

Folder with a copy of the project file plus copies of the source media associated with that project). Then transfer the Copied Folder to

a USB Flash Drive. Then use the USB Flash Drive to transfer the Copied Folder to the other computer. On the other computer, open

the Copied Folder, right click the project file, select Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 13.

If you have a DVD disc (data disk) with DVD video files that were copied to it for storage....

The only files that you will be bringing into a Premiere Elements project are the DVD video files which typically start with

VTS_01_1.VOB and go on in series (each 0.99 GB before spilling over to the next in the series). Sometimes, depending on

the duration of the DVD-VIDEO presentation, there could be a VTS_02_1.VOB and go on in series. If this scenario applies

to you, then you use Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets in a project with a project preset to

match the source files (NTSC DV Standard (4:3) or NTSC DV Widescreen (16:9)) If these VOBs have VHS origin, the are

probably 4:3.

If you DVD disks all with DVD-VIDEO format on them, then you can use Premiere Elements to rip (copy) them from the discs

to get them into your program. See Add Media/DVD cameras and computer drive)/Video Importer.

There are a variety of choices for export under Publish+Share. Best, if 4:3 to stay with a 4:3 workflow. More on that another time.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: changing formats
                Newaryon Level 1

Okay, I have tried this and I am having trouble.

I took the data disk with the copied DVD files... It is as you described.

Yes there is a VTS_TS folder with subfiles VTS_01_0.VOB, VTS_01_1.VOB and VTS_01_2.VOB files which include VHS video segments which I have successfully transferred to the Adobe Premiere program.

But I am having problems with the next file on the disk, VTS_02_1.VOB.  This footage was originally edited on Betacam and then dubbed to VHS and recently tranferred to VOB files along with the others. For some reason, this particular file is not being read correctly by the program.  Every time I try to open this file the program only recognizes the opening credits (six seconds in a 12:50 program) and won't show any more.  The whole file IS on the disk.  I can play the whole 12:50 program on my Xbox. But not on my computers.

Any ideas??

• 5. Re: changing formats
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Newaryon

The VTS_01_0.VOB is no real use to you. It is the menus and will not function as disc menus, just inclusion in the Timeline content if it imports at all.

Your major video files that you want and need appear to be the

VTS_01_1.VOB

and

VTS_02_1.VOB

Are there any in between files like

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

etc

before you get to

VTS_02_1.VOB?

Did the VTS_01_1.VOB go through the same processing as the problematic VTS_02_1.VOB?

From what you wrote, all these are select files that were put on a disc as data disc. These are not files that you

are copying from the DVD-VIDEO structure on the DVD disc. Is that correct?

Not sure of success but worth trying - rename VTS_02_1.VOB to VTS_02_1.mpeg or mpg and see if that has

any impact on the situation. Any chance, you can get another copy of the this file?

ATR

• 6. Re: changing formats
                    Newaryon Level 1

Thank you for the help!

The VTS_01_1 file contains a full 1/2-hour video program that was originally produced and edited on 3/4" videotape and later dubbed to VHS.  It is transferring fine to Adobe Premiere (except for the awful video quality which was the best I had to work with in those days.) VTS_01_2 file contains additional video clips produced in the same way and also reads okay.

The clip in VTS_02_1 was produced at a later time.  It was originally shot on 3/4 inch video but edited in a professional studio using a higher quality format. It was then dubbed to VHS. I have dubs in 3/4" and betamax which I might go to in order to try another transfer.

All of these tapes were transferred into VOB digital files at the same studio and using the same equipment.  The VTS_02_01 file plays on my Xbox so I know it is all there.  When I look at it on my computer, although the file size is almost 500 MB the player shows the program length as only 6 seconds and the 6 second title screen is all that plays.  I can catch glimpses of random frames from the rest of the program as I play with it, but it doesn't seem to see the rest of the file.

I had these files transferred from tape to digital at a video production company. I can go back to them and query them too for assistance.

• 7. Re: changing formats
                      Newaryon Level 1

I tried changing the file name from VOB to MPG.  It played a bit more...maybe another 6 seconds into the clip, then started jumping around out of sequence and stopped playing.

• 8. Re: changing formats
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Newaryon

Thanks for the reply with the additional information.

I think that your best course of action would be to contact the video production company for input on the file supplied.

I was going to suggest trying to convert this .vob to .mp4 in a program such as MPEG Streamclip, but the contact with the

video production company may gain you a quicker and the best resolution.

http://www.squared5.com/

Please let us know the outcome. If needed, I will think about this some more.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR