7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 8:50 PM by JEShort01

Yes another upgrade question...

Chris Debol

I am in a bit of conundrum as to which direction to go with a new computer upgrade.  For the past few years I have been using an older Mac Pro for video editing and audio production.  It was starting to act up a bit so I sold it while there was still some decent value left to it and have been using my MAcbook Pro for work.  I took a performance hit which I dealt with for awhile but I need to step things up again.  My main uses are editing HD footage sourced from various DLR cameras and Go Pro footage in Premiere, some After Effects works (which I am slowly learning to use more) and also doing audio production with various virtual instruments.  I am currently working with the Production Premium CS 5.5 Suite.  I have not made the move to Adobe's Subscription Service. 

My current budget for a new computer is $3k.  My main concern is getting a computer which will handle my day to day use now and also with expandability for future upgrades. 

I have received a quote from one company for a custom build which came in around $2700 and contained the following:

Core i7 4790 Haswell 3.6GHz Quad 8 meg cache

LGA1150: Z97 MB

Noctua - NH-U9B SE2 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

32 Gig (4x 8Gig) DDR3 LV 1600

Corsair - 750W RM750

Micron - 256 GB SSD M600

SEAGATE - 2TB 7200rpm x 2

GeForce GTX760

Zalman - Z9 Mid-tower case

Microsoft - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Another option I was looking at is an older system but it is definitely expandable.  I would have to add my own graphics card though which would push the pricing to right around my budget.

HP Z820 Workstation Eight Core Xeon E5-2680 2.7GHz / 64GB / 2x1TB

My last option would be to build myself.  I would be able to spend a little more on higher end components but would have no support and would have to deal with all the building speed bumps which usually occur.  I have built a few computers in the past but it was years ago and I am not sure how easy things are nowadays.  If I were to go this route what would be the best source for finding the right components?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris