4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 4:08 PM by areohbee

Is it normal for LR to freeze up 5 minutes when moving source of spot repair?

Bob Metzler Level 1

I've been using LR several years and, until last week, always left unchecked the "Automatically write changes into XMP" box in Catalog Settings because I had read that it slows performance (which seems logical).  However, several gurus recommend checking that box so that metadata is always current in the image files or XMPs.  So, I checked the box last week and didn't notice any performance change except when selecting a bunch of files and making a change.  But, yesterday I discovered and validated that if, during spot repair, I don't like LR's choice of where to draw from and move that source to another location, LR seriously locks up--5 minutes or more.  When I un-check the box, there is no freeze.  I'm working with high-res .TIF files here, scans from slides at about 50 Mpx & 16 bit depth so around 110 MB on disk; I haven't tried this yet on a raw file where LR would only be re-writing a small XMP file.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a workaround other than un-checking the box, which I've done while I'm doing spot repair?  It seems like LR might be re-writing the file for every set of pixel coordinates between initial and final location when I drag the source, rather than just the final new coordinates when I release the mouse button.

• 1. Re: Is it normal for LR to freeze up 5 minutes when moving source of spot repair?
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

If you backup your catalog regularly, you don't need the metadata box checked.  Alternately If you remember to hit the [Ctrl/Cmd][S] when you are done with your file edit (to save your work done on the file) you don't need auto-write turned on either. 

I had it turned on about three years ago for about 10 minutes and decided that was no way to work.  Others may disagree.

To answer your question, in my world, no.

• 2. Re: Is it normal for LR to freeze up 5 minutes when moving source of spot repair?
            areohbee Level 5

Locking for 5 minutes is abnormal. With auto-write xmp enabled it should just tag the files for xmp writing to be done leisurely in the near future (in the background) and not interfere with anything, whether it's trying to do it for every incremental movement or not.

That said, I recommend leaving auto-write xmp off anyway. Why?

You've already got current settings in the catalog. If you only save

xmp manually, after milestone editing and inspection of images,

then you are guaranteed xmp does NOT included the same goofs

your catalog does (or might). If you never goof, then please identify

home planet, cause it sure ain't Earth, and you sure ain't human..

So, my advice? - have a "finalization" procedure - when done editing

images, for now anyway:

* inspect image edits..

* save XMP.

That way, if ever you need to fall back to a "milestone" state which isn't

in backup catalog, you can just read XMP.

Cheers,

Rob

• 3. Re: Is it normal for LR to freeze up 5 minutes when moving source of spot repair?
              Bob Metzler Level 1

Hi Rob;

The primary reason I thought I'd try the auto write to xmp is because, when I do a large batch of writing metadata to file after a week or two or editing, many of them will still come up as not up to date the next time I look & I must go to the additional step of writing from file back to the catalog.  It doesn't seem that Adobe is ever going to fix this bug & I thought I could avoid it by automatically writing to xmp.

• 4. Re: Is it normal for LR to freeze up 5 minutes when moving source of spot repair?
                areohbee Level 5

Hi Bob,

Fair enough, and (theoretically) you should be able to enable that option with impunity - most Lr users can, I think (conclusion based on educated guess-work).

But of course working around bugs is just part of working .

I turn the xmp status indicators off and use other means for checking metadata status (if there is any question), since Lr's metadata status detection is flaky.

I suppose another possible bug work-around would be a 2-part sequence when manually saving metadata:

1. save metadata

2. read metadata

then status should always be correct - whether you hit that bug or not, right?

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Good luck,

Rob