3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2007 10:40 AM by kglad

launch a PDF from htmlText

jl2000 Level 1
      Hi - I need to launch a PDF in a blank window - or at least give the user the choice to "download" it from my app to their desktop.

The attached code shows how I got it to work using getURL and an onRelease command...but I need to get the same to work from a text field. On rolling over the text appears in the field as shown.

When I rollover the btn I get the hand cursor - not so with the text link. When I rollover the text I get an "I" beam...if that matters.

The attached code is on the same frame, same layer - so I can't imagine that the path to the pdf would be different. I couldn't use getURL on the text so I tried what you see below.

How can I do this?

TIA your help.

JL
        • 1. Re: launch a PDF from htmlText
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          there's no onRollOff method, use onRollOut (or just eliminate that code because it onRollOut doesn't look like it adds anything.) and make sure your textfield is html-enabled.
          • 2. launch a PDF from htmlText
            jl2000 Level 1
            kglad - Thanks for that. I meant RollOut. That's funny. In one of these little modules I've made - I HAD to use onRollOut. All I did was repeat the onRollover code under onRollOut - otherwise the text would disappear when the user left the hit zone of the button. I did as you suggest and the text stays put on the roll out. I'll have to dig that old file up to see what I did that was different.

AND - as far as that link to a PDF - the reason I was getting the "I" beam over the links in the text had nothing to do with the code in the htmlText. I had a "vagrant" textField overlaying the one I was trying to interact with. It was blocking me from clicking. So the code in the htmlText above WILL work and DOES work afterall.

Thanks for your help.
            JL
            • 3. Re: launch a PDF from htmlText
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              you're welcome.