6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 5:01 PM by ssprengel

Can't open RAW after downloading DNG ACR Plug-in 8.6

eo79

I downloaded the DNG ACR plug-in 8.6 but I cannot open RAW files from my new Canon 6D.  I have Photoshop CS6 and was previously able to open RAW files from my Canon 7D.  After downloading the plug-in from Adobe's website, I installed the packet and then restarted my computer.  When I try to open a RAW file in Photoshop, I get a message saying to download the latest plug-in, even though I already did.  Bridge also is not showing a preview for my RAW files. 

• 1. Re: Can't open RAW after downloading DNG ACR Plug-in 8.6
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Camera RAW forum.

• 2. Re: Can't open RAW after downloading DNG ACR Plug-in 8.6
            Yammer Level 4

eo79 wrote:

I downloaded the DNG ACR plug-in 8.6 but I cannot open RAW files from my new Canon 6D.  I have Photoshop CS6 and was previously able to open RAW files from my Canon 7D.  After downloading the plug-in from Adobe's website, I installed the packet and then restarted my computer.  When I try to open a RAW file in Photoshop, I get a message saying to download the latest plug-in, even though I already did.  Bridge also is not showing a preview for my RAW files.

I'm a bit confused by your post. There's no such thing as DNG ACR. There's DNG Converter, and there's ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). They are two different things.

ACR is a plug-in for CS6 (Photoshop and Bridge), which enables you to view and process raw files in CS6.

DNG Converter is a stand-alone program which you use to manually convert new camera's raw files for use with older versions of CS which don't support them.

So, what is it you downloaded? I'm guessing it's DNG Converter, not ACR.

As you are running CS6, it will actually update to the very latest ACR available (8.6*) using the Help > Updates menu. That should be enough to get you going.

* Older operating systems will only support 8.3 at the latest, but as you need 7.3+ for the 6D, that is plenty.

• 3. Re: Can't open RAW after downloading DNG ACR Plug-in 8.6
              eo79 Level 1

@Yammer Sorry if my question wasn't clear.  When I search for ACR updates, the results all point me to the DNG converter, so I think I confused myself.  I am able to convert my raw files to DNG and then open them in ACR Photoshop.  But, I have CS6, which supports the Canon 6D, so shouldn't I be able to open raw files directly if I don't want to convert?  Right now, I can't do that.  I will try going to Help>updates menu as you suggested to see if that resolves the issue.  Thanks.

• 4. Re: Can't open RAW after downloading DNG ACR Plug-in 8.6
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of Camera Raw do you have installed? And, have you clicked on Help/updates in Photoshop?

• 5. Re: Can't open RAW after downloading DNG ACR Plug-in 8.6
                  djil

Ive got the same problem. Since today I get an error when opening RAW files.

- i cannot click op UPDATE through HELP in PS because it's grey??

- I can't find the update for ACR 8.6 online only DNG 8.6

Can I find the latest version somewhere online & download it directly?

• 6. Re: Can't open RAW after downloading DNG ACR Plug-in 8.6
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Updates usually takes some seconds to become active as PS needs to verify it can talk with the servers, first.  Does PS indicate you are signed in on the Help menu by showing you a Sign Out (email address) command just above the Updates command?  It also could be that there is some connectivity issue between you and the Adobe servers, perhaps a firewall or internet security application:

If you can’t get Updates to work, Adobe does have a page with links to the manual installers for whatever the current ACR version is, in this case, 8.6:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html