8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2014 8:43 AM by joeyMPI

How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11

joeyMPI

How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11?

Is there a video tutorial link?

• 1. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

joeyMP1

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running?

If you have not seen the following, please review and consider

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSeffff8bffc802084-494411db12fd35452dd- 8000.html

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/08/pe12121-pan-and-zoom-tool-and-video-file.html

Let us start here and then we can decide what next. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate

to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
            joeyMPI Level 1

Thanks for the response - appreciate it.

I’ll check these out.  Also, is there another option to “move” on a photo that isn’t the perfect TV ratio?  Such as making “marks” directly from the “FX Applied Effects tab on the upper right side of the screen?

Let me know.

Thanks

JOE B

JOE BRANDMEIER

Director / Producer

[personal information removed... Mod - https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731]

[This is an open forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

[If you are posting using email, please turn your 'sig file' function OFF for posting]

• 3. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

joeyMPI

Not sure what you mean by

is there another option to “move” on a photo that isn’t the perfect TV ratio?  Such as making “marks” directly from the “FX Applied Effects tab on the upper right side of the screen?

Are you referring to portrait oriented photos in the Pan and Zoom workspace or something else unrelated to the Pan and Zoom Tool?

If you import images with a different aspect ratio than that of the project settings, you might consider scaling the non conforming

aspect ratio file to fit the space in the Edit area monitor which was established by the project according to the project preset setting.

a. click on image on screen, then use a handle on the image bound box for the scaling

or

b. highlight the click, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and use the Scale slider for the scaling of

width and height.together (Constrain Proportions with check mark) or just one or the other (with no check mark for Contstrain Proportions).

If none the above targeted you question, please give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...sometime keyframing the Motion Scale (for Zoom) and Motion Position (for Pan) are indicated if problems with the Pan and Zoom Tool

and a particular task. More on that another time.

• 4. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                joeyMPI Level 1

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Your option B is what I’m referring to.  Can I create a “smooth move” that can be used in the video - using that motion effect?  I can “re-size” the images as you suggest, but can I mark the beginning, middle and ending of a shot -- then create an effect that smoothly moves through those steps - in the video?

If you have a moment, let me know.  Or connect me with a tutorial link that might explain.

THANKS

joe b

JOE BRANDMEIER

Director / Producer

[personal information removed... Mod - https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731]

[This is an open forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

[If you are posting using email, please turn your 'sig file' function OFF for posting]

• 5. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe Brandmeier

Please do not include contact information in your posts. They will be a major source of nuisance to you. Typically a moderator will remove them when seen.

Please let me know if I am going in the right direction on what you are asking about your pan and zoom effect using keyframing of motion scale and motion position.

The generalized scheme for doing that

a. Initiate the keyframing with "Toggle Animation" in the Motion Panel expanded.

b. Then the workflow is with each move the the Timeline Indicator across the clip, follow with a change in the Scale and/or Position properties at the location of the Timeline Indicator. You are the one selecting each spot (start, middle, end or in between any)  for the scale or position changes with the move of the Timeline Indicator and the setting of the scale and properties values. We can talk about setting manual keyframes next if wanted.

If you need "reference points", you can always add unnumbered markers to the Timeline (each of those markers allows you to embed comments in it).

Not sure if this fits in to what you are asking, but...

In the following I keyframed the circle position across a clip in a designed manner (predetermined way to mark the path that I wanted). Then I used Motion Tracking so that 3 objects could track the same circle as in moved through its defined path.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/10/pe12-motion-trackingwhat-to-use-to.html

Please review and consider and then let me know if I have targeted what you were asking. If not, I will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                    joeyMPI Level 1

thank you again.

I’m really trying to do the simplest of moves at this point.  I have a STILL PICTURE, that’s “vertical” - and when I drop it in the time line, I want to start with it as is - and simply “move in to it”. 

The Pan and Zoom tool only allows me to move on the “TV ratio”…  I just want to zoom in to it as it sits in full vertical - with black filling the rest of the frame.

?

• 7. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

joeyMPI

Thanks for the follow up.

I did not realize that your focus was portrait (vertical) rather than landscape oriented photos.

Please take a look at the following thread where I worked through some scenarios for using the Premiere

Elements Pan and Zoom Tool with portrait oriented photos.

how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?

We can also discuss this specific to the keyframing of motion scale (for zoom) and motion position (for pan).

Have you looked at the pan or zoom presets as an alternative approach? Please see fx Effects Tab at bottom of

Expert workspace. Under fx Effects, find Presets. Under Presets, try the

Horizontal Image Zooms

Horizontal Image Pans

Vertical Image Zooms

Vertical Image Pans

and drag and drop one of these effects into your clip. Important to remember, with these presets you can apply

a pan or zoom to a clip but not a pan and zoom.

Please let us know if any of the above targeted your question better.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How does the Pan and Zoom tool work in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                        joeyMPI Level 1

THANKS

greatly appreciated

I'll review.