3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 3:29 PM by Dave LaRonde

Where does AE save the project file just prior to a render.

fredfx1957 Level 1

Often, AE crashes during renders. When you hit the render button the first thing AE does is save the file. Where does it save that file?

Does it overwrite the project file? Does it save a separate file in the autosave folder?

It would be really handy to know.

Thanx for your help and cooperation.

best,

Fred

• 1. Re: Where does AE save the project file just prior to a render.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE? I've never noticed a save before a render. I always save before a render. Auto Save is available in preferences and you can choose the location. Otherwise the original place you save an AE project is where it is saved.

If you are talking about Add to Media Encoder then that's a different thing. The preferences for that save location are in AME.

• 2. Re: Where does AE save the project file just prior to a render.
            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

When you render through the Render Queue in After Effects, the project is not saved automatically. When auto-save is enabled, the master project is not affected but the auto-save backup is saved in the location defined in Preferences > Auto-Save.

Rick Gerard wrote:

If you are talking about Add to Media Encoder then that's a different thing. The preferences for that save location are in AME.

This isn't true, Rick. This behavior is pre-defined. The results depend on how you bring the composition from After Effects to Adobe Media Encoder.

If you start in Adobe Media Encoder and use the import options in that application, the original After Effects project on disk is used. No other copies are made and no changes are made or saved to the project.

If you use the Add To Adobe Media Encoder Queue command inside After Effects, or drag a composition(s) from the After Effects project panel into Adobe Media Encoder, a copy of the project is saved into a new folder created in the same directory as the originating project, with name of the project + _AME (ex., my project_AME). Note that this project will be reduced to contain only the composition you sent to Adobe Media Encoder, in the state it was in when you did this. You can delete these files after Adobe Media Encoder has completed the encode.

One caveat to the above: if you have never saved the project in After Effects, the copy of the project for Adobe Media Encoder is saved in the user's temp directory. This also applies if you open a project last saved in a previous version of After Effects, since the project file needs to be converted and After Effects does not automatically overwrite the original file.

• 3. Re: Where does AE save the project file just prior to a render.
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

I can appreciate satisfying one's curiosity by asking such a question, but I've always preferred to sidestep that bit of knowledge by saving in AE the way they vote in Chicago: early and often.