10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2014 12:52 PM by joegoldston

Lightroom no longer imports photos

joegoldston Level 1

I have been using lightroom 4 for over a year and suddenly I am unable to import my photos.  The message says that the photos cannot be read.  I haven't changed anything.   Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
          bogiesan Level 4

If there's nothing wrong with Lightroom, it's your card or the camera's (or the card reader's) connection to Lightroom. You may have changed the settings on yoru camera to record in a format that Lightroom cannot see (unlikely but possible).

These weird sudden changes in behavior or errors are tricky to track down but you should try to eliminate only one thing at a time. Start with the easiest stuff like cables, a different camera, a different card.

• 2. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
            Hal P Anderson Level 6

When LR says the files cannot be read, it really means that they cannot be written. (Yeah, not the most helpful error message.) Most likely you don't have write access to the folder that you're copying the images to.

Hal

• 3. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
              bogiesan Level 4

Hal P Anderson wrote:

When LR says the files cannot be read, it really means that they cannot be written. (Yeah, not the most helpful error message.) Most likely you don't have write access to the folder that you're copying the images to.

Hal

Interesting. Not something you're going to find the in the manual, eh?

Presumes the user has changed the location of his library. On a Mac that would be a conscious decision and a deliberate action. Perhaps the drive is full or offline? Does the option to make a copy to a second location also return this error if that second location is offline? Wait, I know that answer. I often forget to mount our network serve,  where the second copies go, and I get a message that says "some photos could not be copied to the (external) location."

• 4. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
                joegoldston Level 1

Thank you for helping.  I used two different cards with two different

cameras and used the card port on my Mac.  I then used one of the same

cards and imported it into iPhoto with no problem.

• 5. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
                  dj_paige Level 9

Hal P Anderson has given you the answer. Please give it a try.

• 6. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
                    joegoldston Level 1

THanks guys

I am not sure what write permissions are.  I use an external hard drive (WD) to store my photos because my internal drive was full and so I moved my library to that hard drive as well.  Does your suggestion mean that I am probably locked out of my external hard drive?  There is a lock/unlock feature on it that I can change with a password.

• 7. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
                      dj_paige Level 9

No, it means no such thing.

It means you have to use your operating system to change permissions on the folder in question.

If you go to your favorite search engine and search for

"change permissions" Windows

OR

"change permissions" Mac

you will find the answer

• 8. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
                        joegoldston Level 1

Thank you DJ

• 9. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
                          bogiesan Level 4

joegoldston wrote:

I have been using lightroom 4 for over a year and suddenly I am unable to import my photos.  The message says that the photos cannot be read.  I haven't changed anything.   Thanks for the help.

and then you say:

THanks guys

I am not sure what write permissions are.  I use an external hard drive (WD) to store my photos because my internal drive was full and so I moved my library to that hard drive as well.  Does your suggestion mean that I am probably locked out of my external hard drive?  There is a lock/unlock feature on it that I can change with a password.

Joe,  "So I moved my library to that hard drive" is not the same as "I haven't changed anything."

ON the Mac, select the drive icon and use Get Info. Open the little lock icon using your user password and change the permissions for your user account to read and write. I have no idea how this is done in Windows.

However, there is no good reason why this drive should be balking at your user account, whether it's a PC- or a Macintosh-formatted drive. That's worth another post or two, probably.

• 10. Re: Lightroom no longer imports photos
                            joegoldston Level 1

Thanks for your help.  By the way this problem started2 months after I moved my library.  Joe

Sent from my iPad