17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 6:25 AM by Szalam

AE not rendering dust effects

grogbro

In my comp I have some gold 'dust' particles and just plain dust particles that are floating around. As I scrub through the movie they are there but when I render there is no dust at all in my scenes.

Any hints on what could be causing this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
          bogiesan Level 4

Imagine that we're not standing behind your work station and we're not looking over your shoulder, 'cuz we're not, you know.

How would you tell us about this project of yours? How would you let us know how these dust thingies have been created? Procedural effects? Simulations? Video? Precomped particles? Are they properly set for transparency over the alpha?

• 2. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless you've accidentally set them up as a guide layer, we have no way of knowing the issue without more information. Screenshots would be helpful.

We don't even know what version of AE you have. Is it 13.0.0? 13.1.1? 12.2.1?

FAQ: What information should I provide?

• 3. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
              grogbro Level 1

Lol boggy. Should you even be on a forum like this to help people out? Probably not.

• 4. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                grogbro Level 1

Hi Szalam, they are not a guide layer, I don't believe, but I am very new to AE, so it's possible. I will get a screenshot now.

I am using AE CC 12.2.1.5 and the particle is made with CC Particle Systems II

dust.JPG

• 5. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                  bogiesan Level 4

Why do you think I'm trying to bug you? I'm asking important questions. Real questions. Honest questions. You have not provided any information with which we can begin to help you. Provide information. Or click on Szalam's little link thingy. Tell us what we need and we'll help you figure it out. I'm assuming you're not doing anything wrong but I'm not able to read your mind or see what you're doing.

• 6. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                    bogiesan Level 4

Nice work. I don't do 3D construction myself so there's not much I can help you with other than to ask if the movies have been set to be 3D objects and to accept lights. I think Draft 3D will display items even though no lights shine on them. You apparently know something about 3D construction so I'll assume you have already figured that out. Hope Szalam can clear it up for you. I'm out.

• 7. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                      grogbro Level 1

@bog - I am fairly good with a lot of programs myself but I would never answer someone the way you did. You can put a better way. A much shorter way. "Can you provide more info? It may be that you ate too many twinkies. Here's a link to what we need."  <---- Szalam likes twinkies, and that was basically his reply.

Thanks! It's not a 3D set, or 3D Construction, and I am not sure if that is part of AE. Again, I am new to AE. These are painted PNG's I am animating and there is no camera. But maybe the particle systems need a camera in AE for them to be rendered with the final video? Is 3D 'construction' just converting layers to 3d and using a camera?

I also only have 8gig of ram and an older NVIDIA GTX285. Maybe it's choking on rendering out the particles?

• 8. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                        grogbro Level 1

Wait, the one thing I did do is I turned my layers into a MainPreComp, and the dust particles are in their own PreComp. Will they not render if they are nested in another PreComp?

• 9. Re: AE not rendering dust effects

They should render fine in a precomp.

That effect doesn't need a camera nor, in fact, does it even respond to a camera if you had one. CC Particle World, for example, is a camera-aware effect. It's actually a pretty decent 3d particle solution (but nowhere as powerful as Trapcode's Particular).

From your screenshot, I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be working, but I can't see inside the precomp either. Check inside the precomp to see if they are set as guide layers. Read about Guide Layers here: After Effects Help | Layer properties

Also, is there a reason that you're not using the latest version? CC 2014 (AE internal version number 13.1.1) has many new features and updates compared to CC (AE internal version number 12.2.1.5). Granted, it also has a new look to the interface that some people don't like, but overall it's a good update.

• 10. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                            grogbro Level 1

Hmm, I would think the AE CC I have would update on its own but maybe I have to go through and update it. I have the monthly subscription so I thought it would be auto

I will check to see if they are guide layers. I don't think so because they show fine in the preview. Going to read up on that doc.

So they are not guide layers but I did notice that when I put my main comp to (in the preview window) Adaptive Resolution they disappear. When I change it to Fast Draft, they reappear.

dust2.JPG

Thanks!

• 11. Re: AE not rendering dust effects

Um...try applying the effect to a solid layer instead of an adjustment layer. (Copy and paste it so you don't lose your settings.) An adjustment layer is intended for when you want the effects on it to change the layers below (levels, curves, etc.). You do not want to use it for generating effects like Advanced Lightning, Lens Flares, particles, etc.

grogbro wrote:

Hmm, I would think the AE CC I have would update on its own but maybe I have to go through and update it. I have the monthly subscription so I thought it would be auto

CC 2014 is not an update to CC; it is a whole new version of the software. AE version 12.0.0 would update to 12.2.1.5 as yours has done, but you need to install AE version 13 separately. You will have both 12 and 13 installed. (Or, as the CC software calls them AE CC and AE CC2014.)

• 12. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                                grogbro Level 1

Ahh, I am not sure if I get AE2014 with the monthly sub I pay for. I will have to check that out.

That seemed to work! The particle shows up now in Adaptive and I will do a test render to make sure. One thing I wasn't sure how to do was copy just the effect properties/settings from the adjustment layer to the black solid I made. I searched on it but I must be missing something.

• 14. Re: AE not rendering dust effects

grogbro wrote:

Ahh, I am not sure if I get AE2014 with the monthly sub I pay for. I will have to check that out.

Pretty sure you do. I mean, I don't know of any CC subscription that limits you to a version of software. The cool thing about the Creative Cloud model is that you have access to the current version and past versions. (You can get CS6, CC, and CC 2014 all installed on your machine.)

grogbro wrote:

One thing I wasn't sure how to do was copy just the effect properties/settings from the adjustment layer to the black solid I made. I searched on it but I must be missing something.

If you select the effects in the effects panel, edit>copy (or ctrl+c/cmd+c) and then select your new solid layer and edit>paste (or ctrl+v/cmd+v), it should copy and paste all the settings you've adjusted.

• 15. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                                    grogbro Level 1

Don't hate. I've been clicking on the Effects window with all of my settings, and hitting Control C, and also I've tried Edit/Copy. Then I paste with control v into my other effects window, or I go to edit/paste, and it only copies another adjustment layer above my black solid. I wish there was a right click function to copy the settings right in the effects window, when you right click on the grey! grr...

Thanks again for all of your help!

• 16. Re: AE not rendering dust effects
                                      grogbro Level 1

Got it. I was trying to copy the properties from the Effects panel at the top and not the one under the layer. Works now. Thanks!

• 17. Re: AE not rendering dust effects

Glad you got it!