1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 2:02 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Caching, SSD's, improving RAM preview and rendering in After Effects CC

Splurj Level 1

I've read a few posts and looked at some of the optimising After Effects for performance posts but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on settings for helping getting the best performance out of After Effects for my setup. I'm like to be able to explore more advanced effects like Trapcode and things like that but for them to preview and render as quickly as I can... as I'm sure we all do.

I have a 12 Core Mac Pro 2012 with 64GB RAM, a SSD that I use just for the system, a 4TH HDD for all my files and projects and 2 new SSD's that I installed today that I thought I would use as a cache disk and and a disk for my renders.

I decided this based on these guidelines that I found:

Guideline+Disks.jpg

My Media and disk cache settings:

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 20.46.16.jpg

If I set the Conformed media disk as another disk separate from my cache is that good for rendering and previews?

My memory and multiprocessing details are as follows:

Installed RAM: 64.00 GBCurrent RAM Usage: 3.26 GBAllowed RAM Usage: 48.00 GB
      Process IDApplication NameMin Needed MemoryMax Usable MemoryMax Allowed MemoryCurrent MemoryCurrent Priority
      548After Effects0.4064.0048.003.261 - High

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 20.58.36.jpg

Video preview, I'm not entirely sure what this is for, can anyone explain please?

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 20.51.00.jpg

I've only just discovered the Cache Work Area in background option shown here:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-after-effects-cs6/global-performance-cache/

That's going to help massively!

Just how much faster would things run with a new graphics card installed? Say a Nvidia Quadro K5000 for Mac? Is a GPU it worth investing in?

Current I just have this setup:

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

LED Cinema Display:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: DisplayPort

So, any tips that people think might help me speed things up and get the best out of After Effects CC would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.