10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 12:26 PM by A.T. Romano

problems with importing video's

tinekev

Ik heb een probleem met adobe premiere elements 10.

Wanneer ik bestanden download van mijn harde schijf krijg ik de volgende foutmelding:

Dit type bestand wordt niet ondersteund of de juiste codec is niet geinstalleerd.

Het betreft film van een digitale camera met harde schijf met de extensie .MOD

Wat kan ik hier aan doen? Ik heb mijn computer compleet opnieuw geinstalleerd, quick time 7 staat er op.

Hopelijk kunt u mij helpen.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Tineke Veldhuizen

I have a problem with adobe premiere elements 10.

When i download video's from my harddisk i get the following message.

This type is not correct or you have not installed the right codec's.

It is a video from a harddisk camera with the extension .MOD

What can i do about that? I installed windows 7 + quick time player new last week.

I hope you can help mee.

Tineke Veldhuizen

• 1. Re: problems with importing video's
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - moved to the correct forum

2 - Read Hunt on Using MOD/TOD files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990

-and Canon FS300 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1013177?tstart=0

• 2. Re: problems with importing video's
            A.T. Romano Level 7

tinekev

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on?

Did your camera record .mod standard or .mod widescreen files?

The first thing to do is to rename just the file extension before you try to import the file into Premiere Elements 10

with its Get Media. Rename the .mod file from .mod to .mpg. Does that solve the problem?

Also, if you have .mod widescreen, besides renaming the file extension, you will need to apply "Interpret Footage"

to the file after it is imported into the project.

a. Right click the file's thumbnail in Project Media, select Interpret Footage

b. In the Interpret Footage dialog, go to the Pixel Aspect Ratio section, dot the Conform to choice

c. And set the Conform to: "DV/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 1.4587" which I am assuming corresponds to your part of

the world.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: problems with importing video's
              tinekev Level 1

Thank you for the good suggestion.

I downloaded  Winsome file renamer and tried it.

The problem was solved.

Is winsome file renamer a good program or do you have a better suggestion.

I am not so good in this type of programs.

I wait for your answer and thank you very very much for your help.

THANK YOU

Tineke Veldhuizen.

• 4. Re: problems with importing video's
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tineke Veldhizen

Thanks for the wonderful news that the problem is solved.

But, for the mod to mpg file name change, you should not need another program. You can do that yourself.

Let us say you have a .mod file named Vacation.mod.

At the file's hard drive save location, right click the file name Vacation.mod, and select Rename from the drop down menu that appears.

You will probably get the name now looking like

Vacation.mod

with a highlight just on the Vacation.

With your mouse cursor, click after the d in mod, and drag the mouse cursor to the left to highlight just the mod (do not include the dot.

Then type mpg.

You should then have a file now named Vacation.mpg.

Please determine if that works for you. Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 5. Re: problems with importing video's
                  tinekev Level 1

Mr Romano,

Thank you for your answer but when i make a list of files i only see the name of the file not the extension.

I see  MOVooA and when i type .mpg behind it i see in premiere MOV00A.mpg.MOD.

To every file belongs a .MOI file.

So i have for one piece of film a MOV00A file and a MOV00A.MOI file.

I could not change it like you said.

Sorry for my english language, normally i spaek Duth, i hope you can understand me.

Thank you that you are so kind to help me.

Greetings,

Tineke Veldhuizen

• 6. Re: problems with importing video's
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

tomelev

Please go to Folder Options dialog, and, under the View Tab, remove any check mark next to the option

"Hide extensions for known file types". That should allow you to see the file extensions.

Do not bother with the .moi file. The video audio file is the .mod file that you have. We just need to get the

.mod at the end of the file name changed to .mpg. The wanted end result will be the MOV00A.MOD renamed to

MOV00A.mpg.

If you are having a problem selectively changing the file extension, then retype the whole name MOV00A.mpg.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On....just in case note...To get to Folder Options dialog...in Windows 7 64 bit, click on the Start button

Then in the Search field above Start, type in Folder Options. You will now see Folder Options at the top of the

left column. Click on Folder Options there. Then, in the Folder Options dialog that appears, click on the View Tab.

Then scroll down the list until you come to the option "Hide extensions for known file types", and make sure that there

is no check mark next to it.

• 7. Re: problems with importing video's
                      tinekev Level 1

Thank you for spending so much time for my problem.

I found the tab and changed it so that i can see the extensions.

When i change one extension into mpg it is succesful, but when i select all ctrl+a and change the first into mpg then all stay .Mod with a number.

So I see MOV00A(1).MOD

In the winsome file renamer  the picto’s change from a windows media player picto to a quick time player picto then it is a .mpg

When it changes to MOV00A(1).Mod the picto does not change.

When I change the name one by one the picto does change.

I hope you can help me with this last step.

Thank you very much,

Tineke Veldhuizen.

• 8. Re: problems with importing video's
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

tinekev

If you are seeking batch renaming from .mod to .mpg, please explore the SDCopy utility.

Create Video Notebook: SDCopy for Changing MOD Videos to MPG Videos

There is a link to click on in the section that starts 04 17 2012.

Please read all the details so that you do not overwrite any of your original files and still have the original files

as well as the .mpg version after the batch renaming.

Please let us know if that works for you. Years ago this utility used to be valuable for mod widescreen for

the mod to mpg file change as well as adding the needed 16:9 flag. This utility has been disappearing and

reappearing online.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 9. Re: problems with importing video's
                          tinekev Level 1

Thank you very much, now i can change easily and good my files.

And it works good in Premiere.

I was desperate, said i would never try it again, but now you made it possible for me to make good films.

Thank you very much and i hope i may ask you again when i need help in the future.

Greetings from Holland,

Tineke Veldhuizen.

• 10. Re: problems with importing video's
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tineke Veldhuizen

We are so glad that the SDCopy utility worked for you. It is a great tool for the Premiere Elements .mod to .mpg situation.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need clarification on any of your Premiere Elements workflows.

We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects. Your follow up is appreciated by all.

ATR