7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2014 1:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?

geozucco

I am running Premiere Elements 10 on a PC, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, two internal 1 TB Hard Drives, 16 gigs of RAM, with Blu Ray Burner drive. I have done a fair amount of video editing using PE 10 on this rig with standard def material, but now I hope to do some high def work. I plan to have some old family 16mm home movies transferred to hi-def media and do some minor editing (color / contrast correction and maybe some simple transition effects) and then burn the edited files to Blu ray disc.

I am all ready to send my 16mm footage off the the transfer house, but I need to know what would be the best file format for my set up. The formats they have available are DPX Image Sequence, TIFF Image Sequence, and Quicktime (either 422 HQ or 4444 HQ). I am assuming the preferred format would be either of the Quicktime files, and I have downloaded short (about 10 to 15 second) sample files in both 422 HQ and 4444 HQ and was able to import each into PE 10 with no problem and successfully do various edits on each.

But I have read a good number of posts on this and other forums from PC owners who are running Premiere Elements and have had problems either loading Quicktime 422 & 4444, or editing them once they were loaded into PE.

Can anyone comment on this for me? Basically, all I want to know is what Hi Def file format(s) I can reliably use on my computer with PE 10. I don't want to pay several hundred dollars (or possibly more) for a digital transfer from my 16mm footage that turns out to be useless to me.

Rob McKay

• 1. Re: Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob McKay

I would feel better about the Apple ProRes 422

https://www.apple.com/euro/finalcutpro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper_October_2012.pdf

if you were working on a Mac computer, but....you have tested some sample files with this format in Premiere Elements 10 Windows and appear to have had good success importing/editing. Have you done any exporting of these Timelines and gauged the quality of the results?

All that being said, a while back, I look at some Apple ProRes422 samples in Premiere Elements (in a limited fashion) and found no problems using them. Please refer to the following if you have not seen it before

Is it possible to import ProRes 422 files to Premiere Elements v. 10 or 12?

Can you get samples from your transfer house or do they deal in all or none? I have seen HD AVI mentioned as an alternative format. However, keep away from AVCHD.avi. It is not supported by Premiere Elements. AVCHD video compression is supported by Premiere Elements. And, many files with the .avi file extension are supported by Premiere Elements. But that combo of AVCHD.avi is not.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?
            geozucco Level 1

ATR -

Thanks for your very informative reply. I'm afraid the transfer house doesn't offer samples.

Since you think the ProRes 422 would be best for me, here is what I have done in my own tests:

1) Downloaded short ProRes 422 HQ clips into files on my computer hard drive from several websites. The longest of these clips is 30 seconds.

2) Using the "get media" tool in PE 10, I've brought these clips into PE 10.

3) Dragged the clips into the project timeline. At first I got a popup message saying (and I have paraphrased this) the "file format is not supported by PE 10. Would you like the program to convert it to a format supported by PE 10?"  I clicked "yes" and the clip appeared in the timeline. Later on I stopped getting this popup message. I've no clue what format the program might be converting the ProRes 422 HQ files to.

4) After I had a couple minutes of short clips in the timeline, I copied and pasted some of them over and over in the timeline until my entire video time was about 30 minutes in length. Reason for this was simply because I am trying to replicate as best I can what my file from the Transfer House will be like - not 2 minutes in length, but closer to 30 minutes.

5) Did a few minor editing effects on the timeline of the sort I would be doing on my Transfer House file - contrast and color correction, time stretch /speed change, etc.

6) Went to "Share" tab, clicked on "Disc - Burn to Blu Ray". In the Presets dropdown menu, I chose "H.264 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby" (Note - Only four choices appear. The one I chose, as well as "H.264 1440x1080i NTSC Dolby" and the same two again except in PAL Dolby.)

7) Burned a BD-R of the project in Blu ray burner.

I was very pleased with the result - image was nice sharp quality, smooth moving (no dropped frames) and filled my 4 foot x 8 foot screen when played on my Blu Ray player through an Epson projector.

Rob

• 3. Re: Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob

Thanks for the reply with the details of what you tried.

I am a little unclear (concerned) what happened related to your description

3) Dragged the clips into the project timeline. At first I got a popup message saying (and I have paraphrased this) the "file format is not supported by PE 10. Would you like the program to convert it to a format supported by PE 10?"  I clicked "yes" and the clip appeared in the timeline. Later on I stopped getting this popup message. I've no clue what format the program might be converting the ProRes 422 HQ files to.

I have never seen Premiere Elements convert a non supported format to a compatible one and "the clip appeared in the timeline".  Could you double check or reconsider....are you sure the message was not related to the project preset which you set in the new project dialog when the program opens. The project preset that you set should match the properties of the source media. If not, for such you will get a red line over video after you drag it to the Timeline. Some versions give a pop up offering to change an incorrectly set project preset if you did not have a match between project preset and properties of source media.

When I tested my pro res 422 HQ sample in the past with Premiere Elements (do not recall the version), I do not recall getting pop up about wanting to change incompatible to compatible formats. Could you try for the exact wording on the pop up?

I will try to get some pro res 422 HG samples to test specifically in Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit.

End result sounded great.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob

First thing this morning I took an online Pro Res 422.mov (apch video codec - 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second) into Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit)

If you do nothing, Premiere Elements 10 has a default project preset of NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

I took the ProRes 422.mov into 4 different projects with 4 different project preset set in the new project dialog.

NTSC

DV Standard

NTSC

DV Widescreen

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

When I used the first 3 in the above list and Get Media/Files and Folders for the import and dragged the file to the Timeline, I received the following message

v10propre.JPG

which indicated that I had not set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. If I clicked Yes to the message, the program

set the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p@29.97

The correct project preset to match the properties of the source media. If clicked No to the message, the program allowed me to continue

with a red line over the Timeline content. A major function of the project preset is to direct the program to set the correct space (for the file format) in the Edit area monitor for editing purposes. Important to do.

Other than the above, this Pro Res 422.mov (about 800 MB file size) imported, edited, and exported OK using Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit with the correct project preset.

ATR

• 5. Re: Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?
                  geozucco Level 1

ATR,

You are 100% correct and it looks as if I was having some temporary amnesia. That is exactly the message I got when I initially tried to add the 422 HQ  clips to my timeline. I clicked on "yes" and was able to continue on from that point to the results I described.

I am going to repeat my tests, but this time make the initial Project Settings match your recommendations. Will report if I see any differences in the final burned Blu Ray, even if they are small and subtle.

In the mean time, it looks as if I have an answer to my question and that the file format I should go with is indeed ProRes 422-HQ. Thanks for your help. I will continue to report after I have gotten my digital file made and delivered by the Transfer House - and what my results are after working on that much larger project.

Rob

• 6. Re: Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?
                    geozucco Level 1

Just repeated my tests with your recommended project settings and got the same results as I did before, but WITHOUT the message asking me if I wanted to change the project settings to match the clip format. So that confirms your observations. During my first tests I simply had the initial Project Settings set incorrectly for the clip formats. Chalk that up to senility.

One question - when I went to burn the Blu Ray, as before, I was only offered four preset choices:

H.264 1440x1080i NTSC Dolby

H.264 1440x1080i PAL Dolby

H.264 1920x1080i NTSC Dolby

H.264 1920x1080i PAL Dolby

Shouldn't I be getting  a choice of 1920x1020p?

Rob

• 7. Re: Best Hi Def File Format for PE 10 on a PC?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob

Great news.

Premiere Elements 10 Windows Share/Disc/Blu-ray presets do not include one for a 1920 x 1080p choice.

You will not see that choice in Premiere Elements until you get to the latest version, 13....excerpt from by

blog post on Premiere Elements 13 First Look

Blu-ray (new features)

Burn to:

Disc

ISO Image (25 GB) NEW

ISO Image (50 GB) NEW

Presets

H.264 1440 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

H.264 1440 x 1080i PAL Dolby

H.264 1440 x 1080p NTSC Dolby NEW

H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

H.264 1920 x 1080i PAL Dolby

H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby NEW

Except for the two 1080p presets with frame rate of 23.976 progressive frames per second, the other presets all have a frame rate of 29.97 interlaced frames per second NTSC or 25 interlaced frames per second. 

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

Best wishes.

ATR