2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 5:42 AM by dj_paige

Can I upgrade from LR 2.7 till LR 5.6?

lr 2.7 upgrade to 5.6?

I bought Lightroom in 2008 I guess. And wonder if I have to buy LR 5.6 or if I can upgrade my old version 2.7?

And if I do, will all the history from former work disappear, or just stay put after upgrade/ or new installation.

• 1. Re: Can I upgrade from LR 2.7 till LR 5.6?
          BKKDon Level 4

Yes I believe you can upgrade to the current version as the web site says "Upgrade from Photoshop Lightroom 1.x, 2.x, 3.x or 4.x".

As for the catalog look at - Lightroom catalog FAQ I am not sure if you will retain your history as far back as v2.7 but I assume so because the history was retained when the last upgrade from 4 to 5 happened.

You may also want to look at this: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Process versions (LR 5 uses PV2012)

You can also back up the catalog and test a conversion on the backup catalog.

• 2. Re: Can I upgrade from LR 2.7 till LR 5.6?
            dj_paige Level 9

You can also back up the catalog and test a conversion on the backup catalog.

Not really a necessary step, as converting a catalog doesn't change the original Lightroom 2.7 catalog in any way, it's still going to be there untouched after the upgrade.

Of course, making backups of your catalog file and photos (to a different physical disk) on a regular and automated basis is a very good idea (in fact, I would say it is mandatory).

When you do the upgrade, all of your history will appear in the new Lightroom 5 catalog.