5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2014 1:24 AM by mastroalex

Find DNGs with embedded raw

mastroalex

I've found out that I got DNGs with embedded raw all spread through my catalog.

As long as Lightroom doesn't allow sorting by size, is there a way I can find these files and reconvert them easily?

Easiest solution would be reconverting all DNGs again, but many are converted in lossy format and I'm unsure if converting twice would result in a additional loss of quality.

• 1. Re: Find DNGs with embedded raw
          dj_paige Level 9

I think you could probably use your operating system to sort by file size, and identify the files that way. Of course, that still doesn't give you an easy way or reconverting the original RAW files into DNGs, but if you did, you don't lose any quality by converting RAWs to DNGs a second time.

• 2. Re: Find DNGs with embedded raw
            areohbee Level 5

I'm not a total export in this area, but I *think* you have to use the Adobe DNG Converter to extract those raws, instead of Lightroom. If that's correct then you might as well find them using the OS as dj_paige was saying, then just drag 'em and drop 'em on the converter.

No?

• 3. Re: Find DNGs with embedded raw
              mastroalex Level 1

Actually using DNG converter would be very problematic as I should put every photo in the proper folder after. Anyway I tried a couple of conversion DNG to DNG and if raw isn't present "last modification" date remains untouched, so I suppose the file isn't reconverted.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the photos I thought had embedded raw, are just underexposed lossy DNGs that results in very big files.

My camera's max raw size is 36mega, but some LOSSY DNG (just a few heavily underexposed) results in 40 megabytes files!

In future I'll have to check if conversion is really useful :\

• 4. Re: Find DNGs with embedded raw
                areohbee Level 5

mastroalex wrote:

Actually using DNG converter would be very problematic as I should put every photo in the proper folder after.

If you drag and drop individual files, the result will be in same folder as original, which is what you want, right?

40MB files for 36MP camera, when raw is embedded doesn't sound too far out of range, but I dunno..(how big are the originals??) Certainly too big if raw not embedded.

mastroalex wrote:

In future I'll have to check if conversion is really useful :\

If there are no "must have" features of DNG, then I agree: why convert. Single biggest reason to convert format is if app you're using doesn't support current format.

Anyway, if you want to re-vert (not convert) from DNG to original, this plugin will assist - it's free, and I wrote it:

robcole.com - LrUnDNG

PS - Underexposed raws are usually the result of intelli-contrast settings like Nikon ADL or Canon ALO, since no compensatory adjustments have been applied.

Cheers n' good luck,

Rob

• 5. Re: Find DNGs with embedded raw
                  mastroalex Level 1

Thanks for the plugin, but I just tried to extract with DNG converter and verified that the raw isn't embedded.

Actually I meant 40 megabytes dngs from max 36 megabytes raws (in my case Sony arw), my camera has 24mp.

I've searched on Google and found out I'm not the only one that noticed this.