1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 6:35 AM by Dirk Becker

[AS][CS5.5] Problem checking fonts of placed pdf-files

JohnDevlon Level 1

Hi,

I have multiple Indesign CS5.5 documents, containing multiple placed PDF-files as graphic/image and some of the PDF-files don't have all fonts embedded.

I would like to check if the documents have missing fonts using Applescript.

When checking the fonts in Indesign using the "Find font" pallet, I can see all font's, including all fonts from the placed pdf-files. I also can check if a font has a "embed status" that is equal to "not embedded".

When trying to do the same in Applescript, I'm not able to check the font properties. If I check how many items there are in the fonts collections, the result is correct. However, when trying to loop over each font in the document, the fonts of the placed PDF-files are ignored making it impossible to check the properties.

My code:

tell application "/Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5.5/Adobe InDesign CS5.5.app"

tell active document

set myFontCount to the number of fonts --> myFontCount = 6

repeat with eachFont in fonts

-- do stuff here -->  only happens ones, fonts of placed pdf-files are ignored

end repeat

end tell

end tell

font1.png

Does anyone have an idea on how to check the font properties of placed PDF-files ?

Thanx

• 1. Re: [AS][CS5.5] Problem checking fonts of placed pdf-files
          Dirk Becker Level 4

Even at the ExtendScript side, I found font objects representing missing fonts very unstable. You can only query certain properties (e.g. name) and the objects still may fall apart in your hands.

What happens if you execute the following "AppleScript"? Are the missing font's names included? For more info you can also retry using "properties" or other properties instead of "name"...

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"

do script "app.activeDocument.fonts.everyItem().name" language javascript

end tell