15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2014 5:10 PM by areohbee

Exporting Difficulties

asburt

Hi, I am experiencing difficulty exporting my photos in lightroom 4.4. They are not exporting all of my work. They are not sharp and don't look the same at all from the work I have done in the develop module. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

• 1. Re: Exporting Difficulties
          dj_paige Level 9

Please answer ALL of the following:

• Tell us the settings you are using when you Export, in the Image Sizing and Sharpening portions of the Export dialog box.
          • In the Export dialog box, what color space have you selected?
          • In the Export dialog box, what file format have you selected for the photo?
          • Also tell us the size in pixels (width and height) of the photo before you export. Please do not tell me the file size in megabytes or kilobytes.
          • What software are you using to view the exported image outside of Lightroom?
          • If you can, please show us a screen capture of a side-by-side comparison of the image in Lightroom, and the exported image.
          • 2. Re: Exporting Difficulties
            asburt Level 1

Here are the settings I am exporting for this photo. I have tried many different resolutions and file sizes. I am exporting them to my desktop ( for this post) and then from there to my website and viewing them there... as well as viewing them through "preview".Screen shot 2014-10-24 at 1.10.32 PM.pngScreen shot 2014-10-24 at 1.10.15 PM.png

I have now attached a screen shot of the lightroom version in the "develop" module and then a shot of the exported photo from there.

together shot.png

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Exporting Difficulties
              dj_paige Level 9

THis is not a screen capture of Lightroom's develop module

You didn't answer what software you are using outside of Lightroom

• 4. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                asburt Level 1

Ok then. Can you tell me how to take a screen capture. I am not using software outside of lightroom.

• 5. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                  areohbee Level 5

asburt wrote:

Can you tell me how to take a screen capture.

A Mac person could best advize, but have you considered a google like "How to take a screen capture on Mac?"

• 6. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                    asburt Level 1

I am very confused. I took a screen shot of the develop module. Is a screen capture something else? I then took a screen shot of the exported photo. I put them side by side and took a screen shot of that so you could see the difference. Is that not what you were asking? I apologize.

• 7. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                      dj_paige Level 9

We do not see the develop module anywhere in your screen capture. We see the exported photo twice.

We note that the following question has not been answered: What software are you using to view the exported image outside of Lightroom?

• 8. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                        asburt Level 1

yes, because I screen shot the left photo from my develop module and screen shot my exported photo and put them side by side.

• 9. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                          dj_paige Level 9

Screen shot on the left is not from the Lightroom develop module, it is from some application (which I have asked you to name twice, and you have failed to provide that information)

• 10. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think the screenshot on the left IS from the develop module. Apparently, whatever is being used to create the capture saves that menu system with it.

• 11. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                              asburt Level 1

Thank you! Yes, that is exactly it. I do not know how to explain that any other way. It is just the screen shot. Can anyone help me?

• 12. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                                dj_paige Level 9

Jim, if that's correct, then this is a screen capture of a screen capture, which I don't even want to try to work with.

• 13. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                                  areohbee Level 5

asburt wrote:

Hi, I am experiencing difficulty exporting my photos in lightroom 4.4. They are not exporting all of my work. They are not sharp and don't look the same at all from the work I have done in the develop module. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

Possibilities:

1. You are not looking at your work in Lightroom at 1:1, and/or you are not looking at your exported files at 1:1 (100%) zoom, and therefore your evaluation/conclusion is null & void..

2. There is a bug in Lightroom such that under some circumstances (definitely not all cases), it's not applying settings as it should when exporting.

3. You are exporting at reduced resolution without output sharpening, and are seeing a natural softening effect of resizing without subsequent resharpening.

What do I think?

I'd guess #1 or #3 because I don't see possibility #2 (nor do many other knowledgeable persons who participate in this forum) and a lot of the time this gets reported it's possibility #1 or #3.

This makes it really hard if it's possibility #2, since it means you have to "prove" it somehow - not to me (I no longer evaluate attempts to prove), but to Adobe, or somebody who can bend their ear (I'm an outsider and they wouldn't listen to me much more than any other dumb ******* - sorry if I offend..).

To be clear: when exporting high-rez files at reduced-rez, you MUST use output sharpening for sharp output.

Sorry if I haven't been much help - good luck,

Rob

• 14. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                                    asburt Level 1

I just want to start out by saying Thank you for being kind and trying to help me

1. I don't think it is option number one because I check 1:1 every time before I export. I do however put it in 1:1 and then click "fit" again so it is on the full picture. Does that make a difference?

2. It honestly might be this. I have taken my software into a few different Mac repair places with people who are knowledgeable in lightroom and they can't seem to figure it out. BUT, I am hoping it is just a small glitch that no one is seeing in my settings.

3. I have tried every which way for the sharpening output while exporting. I don't have it clicked in my examples but have tried that and it does not seem to make a difference. What resolution/sharpening output combo do you recommend? I am hoping it is this!

The other thing I have noticed is that I tend to pull my clarity back a bit so it is slightly fuzzy and then sharpen it. It just gives it a cleaner look in my opinion. If I take my clarity back up, it does sharpen better in the exported file but it isn't the look I want. So I have figured out how to rig it a bit but am definitely not satisfied with it. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you!!

• 15. Re: Exporting Difficulties
                                      areohbee Level 5

1. Fit view in Lr develop module is (arguably) over-NR'd and over-sharpened, but that has zero impact on exported files - does not make one bit of difference.. (but makes a huge difference in what you see in Lr, which can influence your expectations).

3. Export resolution should be as small as possible but no smaller than the largest resolution that can be used without resizing.

In other words, if you are exporting to screen, and enlarged viewing is not supported, then the export should be as small as possible for the biggest possible screen view, for example:

* screen-saver: the size of your monitor.

* print: so you can print as big as your printer supports, or at the exact size you want..

* web: depends on the web-app presenting, but definitely no larger than largest monitor, and usually smaller.

* body of email: so it fits without resizing.

(* email attachment: so it doesn't exceed max allotment..).

Put another way: if you export too small, quality will suffer, but if you export too big, then you are depending on the target device to downsize, at which point you lose control, and probably are simply wasting storage or transfer time.. Truth betold, if you know the target device can downsize better than Lightroom (doubtful, unless you really are being bit by a bug and settings are not being applied..), then you may want to export at full resolution.

Output sharpening: Try 'Standard' first.

Note: if your file is 6400 x 4800 and you export at 640 x 480, then you will be consolidating 100 (not 10) source pixels into a single export pixel. Expect your NR and Sharpening settings to have very little, if any impact, unless exporting MUCH bigger. But if you export bigger and the user's environment consolidates (downsizes), then you have "bought nothing" (you are at the mercy of the user's software downsizer..).

2. Dunno what to say. As far as I know, there has been NO proof, nor are there any workarounds for this problem, if it does indeed exist. All I can say is: try to convince Adobe so they can fix it. And by "try to convince" I mean submit a bug report (on the feedback site) with ample accompaniment so Adobe can reproduce the problem.

Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom

PS - the term "resolution" in this context means "pixel dimensions" (width and height), NOT the resolution setting in export dialog box..

Let us know what you discover, eh?

~R.