5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 6:08 AM by Chris4243

Modification Date and linked files

Chris4243

I have a question regarding Modification Dates.  I have template files that I use to create retail food labels.  One for the "top" of the product and another for the "bottom".  Ingredient statements go on the "bottom" file and since ingredients change often I keep track of changes by incorporating a Modification Date on the "bottom" label.  From there I have a "proof" file that I will link the "top" and "bottom" InDesign files to and print so our QA's can verify that production is using the correct labels for the product.  This has worked fine until recently when we have decided to overhaul our "top" labels.  When I open the "proof" file to update the "top" label's link the Modification Date on the bottom label shows today's date.  When I open the actual "bottom" file it shows a date in July.  Basically anytime I link a file that has a Modification Date on it, the date is always updated to today's in the file I'm linking from even though the original shows an older date.  How can I get the Modification Date in a document I'm linking from to be what is actually on the linked file?

• 1. Re: Modification Date and linked files
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's pretty interesting, and I think I understand the scenario well enough to run a local test. Do I?

• File 1 - contains no text variable
          • File 2 - contains mod-date text variable (not today)
          • File 3 - contains linked File 1 & File 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------

Modify File 1

Open File 3; File 1 link updates...and File 2's mod-date text variable shown in File 3 updates to today.

Open File 2; mod-date text variable shows correctly (not today)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------

Is that what you're seeing?

• 2. Re: Modification Date and linked files
            Chris4243 Level 1

Exactly.  You understand what I am trying to say perfectly.  Only, I just noticed even without updating the link to File 1 the mod-date in the File 2 link still shows today's date.  Just opening File 3 shows today's date in the linked File 2.

Thank you for your help,

Chris

• 3. Re: Modification Date and linked files
              Chris4243 Level 1

Does anyone have some insight on this?  I need a linked files modification date to match the original file as our QA's use that to verify a labels accuracy.

If need be I can supply a few example documents.

Thanks,

Chris

• 4. Re: Modification Date and linked files
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry...I couldn't get back to this over the weekend.

Just opening File 3 shows today's date in the linked File 2.

Yes, that exact thing just happened here too. Opened File 3 and the mod date text variable shown in the linked File 2 displays the current date and time.

Closed File 3 and reopened 20 minutes later...and the variable again updates to the current date and time (20 minutes later than the first instance).

I suppose this can be considered a bug, although it might be more accurately described as an unforeseen effect of text variables in linked InDesign files.

• 5. Re: Modification Date and linked files
                  Chris4243 Level 1

It's no problem.  I wasn't able to respond over the weekend either.  Just came in this morning and thought I would bump the thread.

Is there any workaround that could be utilized, or even manually changing the Modification Date on the file it's linked in?