1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2007 6:00 AM by James Newton, ACP

Animate rotate

MikeLB
      This one is probably as old as the hills - I have a model on several layers, I have grouped the models and assigned the 'rotate model XY' behaviour that exists within the Director 3d commands library and have slightly modified to rotate the group of models collectively, this would give say vector( 24.0384, 20.0094, 6.8364 ) after the user has turned the model. Now I would like to reset the models original XYZ rotation, so I have approached this with repeat while loop as I would like to see the animation, the target being vector(00.0000, 00.0000, 00.0000) First of all I've forced the rotation to vector( integer(24.0384), integer(20.0094 etc. giving me vector(24.0000 etc.
      I then repeat while themodels.transform.rotation <> vector(00.0000, 00.0000, 00.0000) with
      if integer(theGroup.transform.rotation[1]) > 0 then theGroup.rotate(-1, 0, 0, #world)
      if integer(theGroup.transform.rotation[1]) <0 then theGroup.rotate(+1, 0, 0, #world) // and following the other positions

It gets stuck in a loop and the resultant rotation becomes - vector( 0.4957, -0.3695, 0.0527 )

why a decimal position less than 1 despite me rounding them in the beginning with integer??

Thanks in advance

MikeB
        • 1. Animate rotate
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          You can use...

theGroup.transform.identity()

... to set the transform of the group to a position of (0, 0, 0), a scale of 1 and no rotation. You can then use translate(), rotate() and scale() - in that order - to obtain the transform that you want.

Setting the rotation of a transform can lead to strange results if the rotation is around the y axis.

To answer your question in more detail: your rounding technique means that any number between -0.4999 and 0.4999 will get rounded to 0. 0 is neither greater than nor less than 0, so no further rotations will be applied.

If you want the rotation to return to precisely 0, then you will need to check...

else if theGroup.transform.rotation[1] <> 0 then
              theGroup.rotate(-theGroup.transform.rotation[1], 0, 0)
            end if

... to force the final fractional rotation to occur.

Another solution would be to use the behavior that you can find here to animate the rotation back to the identity transform for you.