8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2014 4:44 PM by 3dit0r1

Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog

3dit0r1

Attempting to merge my old PC catalog into my newer Mac one.

I tidied up both catalogs, then consolidated the PC catalog and media onto an external USB 3 drive (NTFS) - Mac catalog is on an external Firewire drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled). Both separate catalogs were extensively tested and were working, with all media accessible.

I imported as catalog from the Mac catalog, and previews looked fine, and imported catalog looks fine EXCEPT almost none of the media has copied across (about 4500 photos worth!) some did, though, no idea why, or why not, in either case. Got an error message which said Lightroom couldn't copy some files.

I did so much manual cleanup, which took days, to make this painless, I'm pretty gutted such a simple thing didn't work.

Any idea what might be wrong and how to clean up this mess without having to go through it all manually AGAIN, please?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
          dj_paige Level 9

I imported as catalog from the Mac catalog, and previews looked fine, and imported catalog looks fine EXCEPT almost none of the media has copied across (about 4500 photos worth!) some did, though, no idea why, or why not, in either case. Got an error message which said Lightroom couldn't copy some files.

Since you are the one doing the copying, I would imagine it falls to you to explain why some media doesn't copy across. This certainly isn't Lightroom's fault.

If you could quote the COMPLETE error message, word-for-word, along with an explanation of where you got the error message from (Lightroom or your operating system) and also what exact step you were doing when you got this error message (use the exact name of the Lightroom function or operating system function) we might be able to help more.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
            3dit0r1 Level 1

OK, I'll try to give you the info you need. Firstly, I'm not the one doing the copying, I'm asking Lightroom to copy files to a new location while performing an 'import from catalog'. Also, I've just undone the previous import and I was incorrect, Lightroom copied none of the files across at all. This is all being done on the Mac, just so you know.

Exact steps were as follows -

1 - File -> Import from another Catalog (choose PC Catalog on NTFS HDD).

2 - Appropriate files (all of them in fact) selected.

3 - Settings were- File Handling - copy to: (folder on the Mac external HDD). Replace: Nothing (only new files copied). With preview.

2 - Exact error message is "Problem importing from catalog 'Lightroom was unable to copy the files for these images to the folder you selected'." The previews appear in the catalog but with the missing file icons.

I've removed the previous import and tried again, with the same result. In between the tries, I checked read/write permissions on both drives, which have full access, and also tried manually copying one of the folders across between the same two HDDs using the Finder (i.e. outside Lightroom), which worked perfectly, so I can't agree it's not a Lightroom issue at the moment.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
              dj_paige Level 9

This error message indicates you do not have WRITE permission to whatever directory the photos were supposed to go to. Change your permissions

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
                3dit0r1 Level 1

What would I change my permissions to? As previously stated, I have both read and write permissions on the drive in question, I've checked this, and proved it by manually performing a copy outside Lightroom with one of the source folders in question to the exact same destination. It copies fine this way, using the Finder, so the problem is definitely something within Lightroom. Is there a separate permissions setting in LR itself, or should I report this as a bug?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
                  dj_paige Level 9

The problem sometimes happens that the folder that you THINK Lightroom is trying to write to is not the actual folder that Lightroom is trying to write to.

So first, confirm, by looking in Lightroom, the destination folder. Do not use where you think it is supposed to be writing to.

Then, change the permissions on that folder to WRITE (or read&write, whatever it says)

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
                    3dit0r1 Level 1

OK, thanks, I'll double check the specific folder and permissions and report back.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
                      3dit0r1 Level 1

Right, I definitely, 100% have write permissions on the drive I'm trying to get Lightroom to write to. I reset them for the whole disk, just to be sure. Also, I can write to it no problem with the OS, just not Lightroom. I also took the NTFS drive that I was originally copying from, out of the equation by copying the PC catalog and media over to the Mac's internal drive - so now it's failing in the same way copying from the internal HDD to the External HDD.

Just checking that Lightroom can definitely write to the same folder my existing files are occupying? There are no duplicate photos, but I made the assumption that LR can create new year/day/month folders for the new files being copied across, within the folder I'm copying to and add any folders/files it needs to existing ones if there happen to be days in a year which don't exist, or even files which might need to go inside an existing day's file in the catalogue I'm importing into (like it does when you first import)? The option to copy is greyed out on the import from catalog options, but it gives a 'copy to' path underneath this, and it's the correct one where I have my other media I'm trying to merge with stored.

Just a thought, as otherwise I have no explanation for this, and will have to just report a bug, I guess.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 can't copy files when importing PC catalog
                        3dit0r1 Level 1

Right, I eliminated the external drive, or any permissions problems being the issue by copying both catalogs and media to the internal HDD. Lightroom still gives me the same error message and won't copy the files. This is now just silly, anyone have any ideas before I contact Adobe? It's not just this particular import as catalog which is an issue, it's going to cause big problems for me, as my internal Mac SSD just isn't big enough to house the photo library, so I'm always going to have to use it for initial edits, then import to a master catalog held on an external drive, not that either is apparently possible right now!