3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2014 4:19 PM by areohbee

How can I Speed up Lightroom on my PC

Bull Rhino Level 1

I've got a two year old PC running Windows 7 Home Premium with 16 GB RAM.  It has an AMD quad core processor with INTEGRATED graphics.  The other day I was doing some very detailed brightness adjustment using the adjustment brush and it really bogged down.  I'm wondering if I add a separate graphics card it would make any improvement.  If your experience has proven that it would, do you have any suggestions for a graphics card?  My computer specs tell me I can add a "PCI Express x16 graphics card".

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

• 1. Re: How can I Speed up Lightroom on my PC
          THG_BO Level 3

Hello,

do you have one of these A6/A8/A10 AMD processors? There may be a problem because these processors share the same memory bus for the cpu and the graphics adapter (which is fine for most applications).

You do not need a expensive graphic adapter for lr at the moment because LR does not use the gpu for rendering. I have a AMD HD6450 with a 1920x1200 pixel display without any issues.

• 2. Re: How can I Speed up Lightroom on my PC
            dj_paige Level 9

Lots of brushing is known to slow down Lightroom. A faster CPU is probably the only way to speed Lightroom up for this particular problem.

The alternative is to use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to do the brushing.

A graphics card will not help.

• 3. Re: How can I Speed up Lightroom on my PC
              areohbee Level 5

As dj_paige said - if you do lotsa detailed brushing, it's gonna slow Lr way down - even a swanky new turbo-powered cpu will only help so much..

If you really need to brush the heck out of it, then you need to either do it using a pixel-editing app like Photoshop, or find a way to consolidate destructively (bake brush-strokes into the image data) from time to time in Lightroom.

ProxyEditor (a free plugin I wrote) was designed to allow you to do the latter - you brush on a consolidated RGB file, and changes are retrofitted to the original source image. Note: it will still take a long time to export the original image, but at least editing will be fluid (Lr will remain responsive).

Rob