15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 6:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Alex7777

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error - shutting down Premier Elements 11

I see there are the fixes out there for Photoshop elements, but can't find the fix for Premier Elements 11. Anyone know where it is ?

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex7777

On what computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 11? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

1. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not work, then delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. Uninstall/Reinstall according to the specific following scheme

a. Deactivate the program in an opened project using Help Menu/Deactivate

b. Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way

c. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls reinstalls

d. Resinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled

The Adobe document that does to the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Troubleshoot C++ runtime errors | Adobe products | Windows

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
            Alex7777 Level 1

Hi A.T.

Thats a far more complicated approach,  than the fix for Photoshop elements. The Photoshop fix is going into 1 line of of 1 folder, and changing one little thing....done.  I can't imagine that any typical consumers are going to jump thru those hoops you are posting after paying $100 for premier elements just to get it to work. I know I have no intention of doing all that to "maybe" fix the issue. Until someone figures out a simple fix for this paid program, I'm just going to upload it to one of my Mac's and do my video mixing there. I thank you for your instruction but I don't have time for that, that's not what I paid my money for. I'll just skip over to Mac for now.... what a pain. This note is not in any way ment to upset you, I'm just frustrated with Adobe.... again....  

AC

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
              A.T. Romano Level 7

AC

You still have not answered

On what computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 11? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

What computer operating system is involved in your issue. Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit or Mac?

If Mac, then my paths are not applicable. And, neither is the Adobe link (Windows) link that I posted.

You wrote...

I'm just going to upload it to one of my Mac's and do my video mixing there.

Just in case note, if you are using a Windows computer, Premiere Elements Windows is not going to install

on a Mac computer (unless you have a Windows Mac combo of some kind).

Be advised that this is not Adobe. Rather User to User.

The suggestions that I offered for what you presented are not unreasonable for a Premiere Elements on a Windows computer with the type of issue that you present.. And, most are included in Adobe documents on such matters.

The above is meant as an clarification for what I posted and why. I want you to succeed.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                Alex7777 Level 1

The PC is a Windows 7 machine with no connection to the internet, which makes the whole thing more mind boggling for me.... What triggered this sudden change / problem ?

"Be advised that this is not Adobe. Rather User to User."   - Yes I know, and that whats frustrating - that Adobe has not made a simple fix for this and made it easy for someone who has purchased their product to fix it without jumping thru lots more technical hoops.

Question - Will the instructions that you posted mess with any of the projects that in the works, in Premier elements, on the PC ?

Thanks for your patience.

AC

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AC

Thanks for the reply. I understand your situation. It is not a good place to be.

The deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, or, if necessary, the whole 11.0 Folder in which it exists

should only affect the preferences that you see in Edit Menu/Preferences/General. So, if you have customized any of

them, you will need to reset them to your customized values after the consequences of the deletions are determined.

In no way move, delete, or rename files/folders that are imported into a project after the project has been saved closed.

The consequences can be disastrous from the point of view of reconnecting source media to the project file.

At one time you must have had to connect your Premiere Elements 11 Windows to the Internet to get it installed/activated.

Also, there are some "supposedly" one time activations for certain features that need an Internet connection. I have

always worked with Premiere Elements Windows with an Internet connection so I am not sure if any of these deletions

under your circumstances will have effects other than what I described. And, it is not unthinkable that a one time activation

for a particular feature may suddenly require another activation.

What you could do, instead of deletion the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the 11.0 Folder in which it exists, do as

the Adobe document suggests, and rename the file/folder to disable which will allow you to get back what was there

before if necessary.

Consider the above, and we will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                    Alex7777 Level 1

ATR

In your solution, get as far as  c drive / User / Owner ....... then there is no APP Data.

AC

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

AC

Thanks for following up on this.

I suspect you may have overlooked the end part of my suggestion

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Just in case note....in Windows 7 64 bit....

In Search field, type Folder Options.

At the top of that left column, there should appear "Folder Options" on which to click.

When you do, the Folder Options dialog will open.

Go to the Folder Options' View Tab, and scroll down until you see the option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.

Make sure that the option is dotted.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                        Alex7777 Level 1

Well Mr. ATR

Much to my surprise, your path and recommendation to delete the preferences files worked and Premiere elements is back up and running, however no previously started projects are showing up when you ask it to work on and existing project - did I loose everything ?   UNFORTUNATELY....and Most disturbingly, I started to work this morning in photoshop (I live in photoshop 5 and lightroom 3 which I paid I believe over a thousand dollars for) and right from the get go, same error message came up in photoshop leaving me dead in the water. So now I will no doubt spend lots of time trying to find the solution for it, and when I do, then Lightroom will likely go thru the same thing ? And thus more searching and fixing time. Thus the frustration continues, and I can't get my work done. Sorry for all the venting.

AC

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex7777

Thanks for the update.

You should not have lost your saved closed Premiere Elements project files with the deletion of the preferences. Worse case, you might have had to

re-customize any of those preferences that you had customized before the preferences (settings file).

The default save location for the project file (project.prel) is

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder should be included the named project.prel file.

If there, right click it, select Open With, and then Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                            Alex7777 Level 1

Hi ATR

There is no file named project.prel , however all the projects are there and if you click on each one individually they will open in Premier elements.

AC

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex7777

Are you saying that you found all the projects that you were looking for and can open them to work on?

When I wrote project.prel, that is the generic name for the project file. In reality, you will find your project's file with the name that

you or the project gave the it followed by .prel, such as My Project.prel or My New Video Project 1.prel, and so on.

Are we OK on those details? If not, please let me know where we are not yet together on this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                                Alex7777 Level 1

ATR

I think we are all good on the premier elements, thanks. I took a screen shot of your instructions in case it pops up again.

I am now trying to answers to the exact same issues in Ps5 and Lightroom 3. Both are dead. Do you have any links to discussions where someone

has figured this out ? It no doubt has also effected my Adobe Bridge as well, but I don't use bridge so thats no going to kill me.

But without my Lightroom3 and Ps5, I'm dead in the water. This "thing" seems to effected all my Adobe products and nothing else.

Regardless, thanks for your help.

AC

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex7777

Can lightning strike twice in the same place? Let us see.

If the Ps5 = Photoshop CS5 or 5.1...

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Adobe Photoshop CS5 or CS5.1

Adobe Photoshop CS5 or CS5.1 Settings

and, in the Adobe Photoshop CS5 or CS5.1 Settings Folder, should be the Adobe Photoshop x64 CS5 or CS5.1 Prefs.psp.

What about deleting that Prefs.psp and determine the consequences?

We can think about Lightroom next.

Depending on the results, you may want to consult with either the

Adobe Photoshop Forum Photoshop General Discussion

or

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Forum Photoshop Lightroom

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                                    Alex7777 Level 1

ATR

I deleted the file, and no go. I deleted again and restarted computer, still no go.

This morning I started a discussion general for Ps5  and unfortunately its going no where.

AC

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 11 - anyone know the fix ?  - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex7777

Try the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Forum to see if you get any response there.

If not, I will think about this some more.

ATR