3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2014 12:16 PM by Chris Cox

Photoshop CC 2014 causes black screen and system shut down.

lmeriwe Level 1

Every time I start PS CC 2014 my machine dies within 2 minutes. I am not having issues with Lightroom or Bridge.

I've spent hours on phone w/Dell tech support. They say my machine is fine and that the problem is with photoshop.

Drivers and installs are all up to date. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 causes black screen and system shut down.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

WIthout proper system info and crash logs nobody can tell you anything.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Re: Photoshop CC 2014 causes black screen and system shut down.
            lmeriwe Level 1

I'm running on a Dell 8500 w/ a 2 TB hard drive.

I've run DM Log Collector and have a zip file with the results, but I don't see how to attach it to my post.

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium
            Version6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
            Other OS DescriptionNot Available
            OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
            System NameLAURIE-PC
            System ManufacturerDell Inc.
            System ModelXPS 8500
            System Typex64-based PC
            ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
            BIOS Version/DateDell Inc. A12, 8/28/2013
            SMBIOS Version2.7
            Windows DirectoryC:\Windows
            System DirectoryC:\Windows\system32
            Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume1
            LocaleUnited States
            Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "6.1.7601.17514"
            User NameLaurie-PC\Laurie
            Time ZoneMountain Daylight Time
            Installed Physical Memory (RAM)12.0 GB
            Total Physical Memory12.0 GB
            Available Physical Memory8.69 GB
            Total Virtual Memory23.9 GB
            Available Virtual Memory20.2 GB
            Page File Space12.0 GB
            Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
            • 3. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 causes black screen and system shut down.
              Level 7

Applications cannot cause the entire system to shutdown, reboot, or hang.

Only bugs in the OS, bugs in low level drivers, or defective hardware can cause that.

Apparently you spoke to someone at Dell without much system troubleshooting experience, who mistakenly tried to blame application software for something that application software cannot do.

The most common cause we see is defective RAM, followed by defects in VRAM, GPUs, motherboard, power supplies and CPUs.

But every once in a while, someone ships a bad driver that causes kernel panics (bluescreens) or shutdowns.

To find the actual cause, someone would have to swap out components, or check the hardware diagnostic state on the system (the BIOS records why it shut down), and worse case monitor the power feeds to different components for defects (this takes a bit more equipment and time, but has been necessary in the case of some defective motherboard designs).