2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2014 9:51 PM by Dov Isaacs

indesign to Postscript to PDF - shifting my image + cropping it?

MelHider

Sorry, I'm new to the program! I am using inDesign CC 2014 and trying to create a pdf of a booklet. It previews fine creating a post script file, but then when I create the pdf (using Distiller) from the post script file, it shifts the whole image right cutting off a chunk of the right side of my document. I have a feeling I have a weird setting when I make the postscript file, but can't figure it out, My creep is set to 0 and I have "Automatiically adjust to fit marks and bleeds" checked.

• 1. Re: indesign to Postscript to PDF - shifting my image + cropping it?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You probably have the wrong page size set in Distiller or the Postscript Options when you are printing to file.

• 2. Re: indesign to Postscript to PDF - shifting my image + cropping it?
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Adobe most strongly recommends that you always use the “export PDF” function to create PDF from InDesign. The PostScript generated by InDesign is not optimal for PDF creation and yields sub-standard PDF with no live transparency and no color management.

My assumption is that you are trying to finesse the fact that the booklet making facility of InDesign doesn't yield PDF. However, professional PDF print publishing workflows normally dictate that you output logical pages and that booklet making, including accounting for signatures, creep, etc. be handled either by the RIP or special software in the PDF prepress workflow. (There are even third party plug-ins such as Quite Imposing and PDFSnake that will do imposition inside of Acrobat!)

Adobe recommends you go that route for what you are trying to accomplish.

- Dov