6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2014 2:02 PM by Chris Cox

My Photoshop crashes as soon as I open it. Help?

Iliketodraw

This started happening after I refreshed my PC and reinstalled Photoshop via the cloud. I have tried checking my graphics card (it says there are no issues), updating/restarting my PC, and uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop. I checked my other cloud apps (Illustrator and InDesign) and there don't appear to be any issues. I am using Windows 8.

Any advice anyone has would be super awesome!

• 1. Re: My Photoshop crashes as soon as I open it. Help?
          Level 7

What does the detailed crash report say? Check the system event viewer for the crash details.

And did you update your video card driver from the GPU maker's website, or did you mistakenly try to update it from Microsoft or a system builder?

• 2. Re: My Photoshop crashes as soon as I open it. Help?
            Iliketodraw Level 1

Thank you so much for looking into this!

The crash report says:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 15.2.1.257, time stamp: 0x543dbc5e Faulting module name: igdfcl64.dll, version: 8.1.0.2867, time stamp: 0x506355da Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000806613 Faulting process id: 0xcb8 Faulting application start time: 0x01cff0960b40b2bd Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igdfcl64.dll Report Id: 4e2ef58a-5c89-11e4-be75-84a6c8fea3fc Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

I did some digging on the internet and someone with a similar problem got advised to install windows 8.1 and then update their graphics driver.

I tried doing this but it didn't really work. I installed windows 8.1 on it. I then tried to update the graphics drivers after doing this. I have an ASUS with an Intel HD 4000 Graphics Processor. I went to the Intel website to download the latest driver, and hit the button that told me to check for updates. It linked me to install this one: Intel® Download Center but when I tried to install it it wouldn't let me, and gave me the error message "the installation package is not supported by the processor type." When I ran the troubleshooter that came with the crash it didn't resolve the issue, and gave me the error message "this operating system is not compatible" and "incompatible program."

I tried opening Photoshop again and it has not crashed yet. I'm still wary, though, over not being able to update the drivers. Do you (or anyone out there) have any ideas what might be happening with that?? And thanks again!

• 4. Re: My Photoshop crashes as soon as I open it. Help?
              Level 7

Not sure why you can't install the updates.

But you really need the updates from Intel to fix the bugs in the ancient driver you got from Microsoft.

• 5. Re: My Photoshop crashes as soon as I open it. Help?
                Iliketodraw Level 1

I tried to download another one of the recommended drivers from the Intel Website, and the site said I wouldn't be able to. They then directed me to download a driver from the Asus website. Everything seems to be working,though, since I installed Windows 8.1, and I've been doing some hefty image work (filters and brushes on a 2GB image file that I drew myself). Possibly it secretly also updated my drivers while it was being installed?  Would you recommend installing the Asus Graphic's driver ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Q500A or just leaving it as is (if it ain't broke don't fix it?).

Thanks so much for all of your help! 

• 6. Re: My Photoshop crashes as soon as I open it. Help?
                  Level 7

Yes, the Win 8.1 updater also downgraded your drivers to the Microsoft versions (which are years out of date).

Can you download the Intel drivers and use the "have a disk/find it myself" option to install them?