10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2007 3:03 PM by Peter Grainge

search tab stops working

Lonno7 Level 1
      First of all, thanks to everyone who offered the helpful advice regarding my Word/HTML dilemma; it's fixed.

Now, however, another problem: I have two topics, each of which holds a large table -- let's call them "functions" and "procedures." In the Functions table, I can use the search tab to find entries in the table only to about halfway down; then, at a particular point, it won't find any entries. I've tried copying and pasting entries at this point and below to put items in the search box, but get the "not found" message box -- even though the entries are obviously in the table.

However, the search tab will find entries in the Procedures table all the way to the end.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Lon
        • 1. Re: search tab stops working
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Lon,

Is the "functions" table larger than the "procedures" table? There is something at the back of my mind which screams at me that there is a limit to the table size you can use in a topic. I'm happy to be proved wrong though. Can you split the tables between different topics? How big is "large"?
          • 2. search tab stops working
            Lonno7 Level 1
            Hi, Colum!

Glad I could make you happy; I think you're wrong about the size issue. The Procedures topic finds text clear to the bottom of the table -- and it has 363 rows to the Function topic's 220.

Lon

• P.S. This new version of RoboHelp is ... verrrry ... ssllloooww; sometimes it just gets stuck and I have to ctrl-alt-delete, Task Manager, and find that RoboHelp is "Not Responding." End Task, Restart RoboHelp, etc.
            • 3. Re: search tab stops working
              Lonno7 Level 1
              ... and another thing:

The Search tab also doesn't find partial entries, e.g., if I'm looking for a long string like "LookingForALongStringInThisTable," and I enter "LookingForALong," I get the "no topics found" message. Shouldn't this work?

Lon
              • 4. Re: search tab stops working
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                See Snippet 53 on my site.

• 5. Re: search tab stops working
                  Lonno7 Level 1
                  Hi, Peter!

I guess I should have responded sooner, so everyone could know I still have the problem; in fact, Snippet 53 not only didn't help, it made matters worse.

The problem was (and still is), if I try to use the Search tab and enter fn_* (I'm looking for function names), many of the entries in the table under discussion would be highlighted, but many others would only be highlighted as far as the fn_. When I tried the suggestion in Snippet 53 -- no highlighted text whatever, only the message "no topics found."

So, I'm still in a fix ... anyone? anyone?

Lon
                  • 6. Re: search tab stops working
                    Have you tried splitting the table in two at the point where it stops finding text?

• 7. Re: search tab stops working
                      Lonno7 Level 1
                      Hi, Peter, et al!

Problem not solved yet. Here's what I've tried:

1. inserting a row from a "good" row and inserting a "bad" line of text - nothing
                      2. inserting a row from a "bad" row and inserting a "good" line of text -- OK
                      3. inserting a hard return in the middle of an extremely long (100 characters) solid line of text -- helped a little, but not enough
                      4. Yes, Peter: splitting the table in two at the point where it stops finding text - nothing
                      5. Cutting "bad" text from table, pasting to TextPad, saving, cutting from TextPad and pasting back to table -- nothing
                      6. Copying entire table, pasting to TextPad, saving to Word doc, importing into RoboHelp -- nothing.

still hoping for assistance...

Lon
                      • 8. Re: search tab stops working
                        Same topic imported into a new project?

• 9. Re: search tab stops working
                          Lonno7 Level 1
                          Hi, Peter!

You reminded me of another effort that I've tried:
                          Created a new project and imported the troublesome topics into it; problem continues

But, actually, in my previous post I meant that I had imported the "treated" table back into the original project.

Lon
                          • 10. Re: search tab stops working
                            You want to zip up the test project with that troublesome table and send it to me? Send it via my site.