9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 8:29 AM by A.T. Romano

How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?

hadit97

I can't get photos to appear in the menu templates in Premiere Elements 11, whether I drag them in or Browse them out. I tried two different templates, and 5 different photo file formats. From what I'm reading online, this is a known bug that has been around since v. 9. How is that possible that a major element of a top-of-the-line video editor doesn't even work? Is there a bug fix or a workaround?

• 1. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

hadit97

That happened to me once or twice.

Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, then delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. What computer operating system are you using? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Please let us know the outcome. This should work, but if not we will suggest another approach to resolving the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
            hadit97 Level 1

Thank you. I will try that. I forgot to mention I'm running Win 8.1.

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

hadit97

Thanks for the additional information.

The path that I cited to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and its 11.0 Folder should be applicable to

Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Looking forward to your results when your schedule permits.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
                hadit97 Level 1

Oops, I made a typo. I have PE 12, not 11. I deleted the Prefs file from the 12 folder and restarted PE. It crashed. I restarted it, and it failed to load my previous project. Fortunately, it was a simple project, so I re-inserted the mp4 file into the timeline, then clicked on Tools > Movie Menu.

I browsed out the photo (.bmp), added it, and it did indeed appear in the main menu image in the center of the screen! Before, the small thumbnail showed up in the Adjustments frame on the right, but there was just a gray rectangle inside the menu itself.

I assume the photo will appear now in the final product (I tried burning it before, but it just showed as a gray box), but I will test it to verify.

Thank you very much for your help.

• 5. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

hadit97

Thanks for the reply and following up with the troubleshooting suggestion.

If you can see the replacement background in the Movie Menu Preview, it should be present there in the

final end product from Premiere Elements 12 burn to disc. If you have any questions about the area allowed in the disc

menu for background replacement, please ask, giving name of menu.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is the version whose disc menu section's replacement background have flaws

that often result with the replacement background not showing up in the end product unless you add audio to

the menus.

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

You should be OK now with your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Movie Menu.

ATR

• 6. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
                    hadit97 Level 1

Ok, I am waaaay beyond frustrated now. I deleted the Pref file as you instructed, and adding the picture to the menu worked perfectly – once. When I tried to open the project again to edit it, Premiere crashed. Every time. So I restarted my computer, and it still crashed.

So I uninstalled Premiere, restarted, and re-installed it. I re-created my project, brought up the menu called “In Loving Memory,” inserted the picture file, and guess what? NOOOOOOOOOO picture appears!!!! Do I have to delete the Pref file every time I want to make a project? That’s not going to happen.

I guess I’ll just go back to the cheap-o Premiere wannabe software. It may not have the bells and whistles of PE, but at least it worked!

• 7. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

hadit97

Distressing news. I thought that all was well. If you want to continue, I will go the extra mile to a permanent solution. If you do not want to continue, I understand and wish you well in your video editor choice.

If to continue...

If you have not already, please update 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

Did you delete just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or do you get to the part where you deleted the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exist? If not, please give that a try for a more permanent fix.

What is in this project whose TImeline you are taking to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? Have you ever gotten to the burn dialog and observed the readings

that you get in the quality area for Space Required and Bitrate (with a check mark next to Fit Contents to Available Space)?

What is the format of the picture used for insert as background. I have not run into format or size problems with regard to disc menu inserts, but

we need to consider the overall project specifics. How many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages does this project have?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
                        hadit97 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you for your kind response. Now that I’ve calmed down some, I’m willing to keep trying, to a point at least. I’ll try responding to your questions.

I failed to mention that I did update to 12.1 before my last failure. And I still had the problem. So far, I have only deleted the Prefs file and not the entire folder, mostly because the program went into permanent crash mode and I couldn’t even get it to run, let alone try editing my project. That’s when I reinstalled it.

The project is simply a PowerPoint presentation with a soundtrack, which I exported from PowerPoint as an mp4 file. It’s only 7:30 minutes long. So it’s a very tiny file. There is only one menu page and no scene menus.

Yes, I have successfully burned it to disk, once with the gray rectangle on the menu (to confirm whether it would show as a gray rectangle on the TV screen, which it did), and once with the picture on the menu, the one time I succeeded in getting the picture to appear in the menu.

I have tried the picture in multiple image formats, but the one I mainly try is a .bmp that PE generated using the snapshot tool, or whatever it’s called in PE. I figured if PE won’t even load images it created, the Adobe programmers need to start back with square one.

• 9. Re: How can I get still photos to appear in menu templates?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

hadit97

Thanks for the reply and giving the troubleshooting another look.

Please give the following a try, but this time deleting the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Then try to get to Timeline content to disc with complete disc menu content.

Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, then delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. What computer operating system are you using? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

If the problem persists, make a copy of the current project, and use the copy project file (File Menu/Save A Copy) for the following. Wherever the .mp4 content is present, replace it with jpg still - maintain the menu marker placement. Keep the disc menu with your insert as is. Everything should be the same as before, except, in the scenes of the scene selection page, you have jpg images and not .mp4 images. Burn to disc as before.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR