11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 2:58 PM by Levalt

Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.

Levalt Level 1

Hi,

Here is the problem:

PE 11 automatically installed SmartSound SonicFire Pro5 ver. 5.7.3 and when I click on <Use SmartSound> button,

I have an Error message pop-up saying 'Unable to acquire Serial number for express track. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet and

click OK to try again'.

When you click 'OK', another pop-up asks for Serial# that you can't get since according to SmarSound website 'New serial numbers for versions of Sonicfire Pro less than 5.8 are no longer available.'

There is also note that

If you are using Sonicfire Pro 5.0 through 5.7.4, download and install the v5.7.5 patch. Sonicfire Pro 5.7.5 is compatible on Win XP, Vista, Win 7, and Win 8.

There is a link to the download version 5.7.5 patch.

I applied the patch and have the following entries listed in the Control Panel:

- SmartSound Common Data ver. 1.2.0

- SmartSound Premiere Elements 11x64 Plugin ver. 5.7.3

- SmartSound SonicFire Pro 5 ver.5.7.5

When I tried to run SmartSound through PE 11, I got the same error message as before. Nothing was changed!!!

The last time I successfully used SmartSound with PE 11 on my old computer with Windows 7 Professional a while ago and had no problems.

I installed PE 11 on my new computer with Windows 8.1 and working on a new project. Everything was fine (clips editing, menu, etc.) until I decided to add music through SmartSound.

Any idea on how to make SmartSound work?

Thanks. Lev.

• 1. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
          bboyerddn@gmail.com

Just to add that others are experiencing the exact issue Lev describes so perfectly above. At least I am.

• 2. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev and bboyerddn

When trying to access SmartSound feature in Premiere Elements 11 or 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit, I can confirm the message

"Error: Unable to acquire serial number for Express Track. Please make sure you are connected to the internet and click OK to try again."

This problem does not exist if I am doing the same thing, but on Windows 7 64 bit with Premiere Elements 11 or 10.

Before I revisited SmartSound on Windows 7 64 bit, I suspected this issue was similar to the non availability of photoshop.com plus

members only content when photoshop.com was discontinued. The fact that I can still access SmartSound in Premiere Elements 10 and

11 on Windows 7 64 bit suggest that the discontinuance of SmartSound from Premiere Premiere Elements 12 and 13 is not the same situation.

Did you note the information

"New serial numbers for versions of SonicFire Pro less than 5.8 are no longer available." Right now I am working on an angle that

perhaps a SonicPro 5.8 (21 day free trial) will kick in for a free SmartSound Express Track in Premiere Elements 11 and 10 that I have

installed on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Have you been there and tried that?

If not and if my current plan does not work, I will go to the source, SmartSound Customer Service. It would be nice, but I am not expecting any Adobe Support on this since current version product is not involved and SmartSound has been replaced by Music Score (similar in concept to SmartSound, but not SmartSound).

To be continued.

ATR

• 3. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev and bboyerddn

Well, the grand path did not work.

All that I got for my SonicFirePro 5.8 (thought to be plugin) install, was

a. Same SmartSound problem message in Premiere Elements 10 and 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

and

b. SonicFirePro 5.8 desktop icon which, when double clicked, spelled out Buy It or Try It (21-day free trial).

I have sent an email to SmartSound, asking for it input on the situation and expectations for Premiere Elements 11 and

earlier SmartSound feature on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

To be continued

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                Levalt Level 1

Thank you, ATR.

Please let us know when you get response from SmartSound.

Hopefully there is a solution for PE11.

Does this problem exist in PE12 and PE13 in Windows 8.1 64 bit environment?

Lev.

• 5. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Thanks for the reply.

No this problem does not exist for Premiere Elements 12 and 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit since the SmartSound feature was discontinued in

Premiere Elements after version 11. What is in Premiere Elements 12 and 13 is "Music Score" which is in concept like SmartSound, but

is not SmartSound.

The email to SmartSound got sent minutes ago. I will let you know when I get a reply from SmartSound on this matter.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                    Levalt Level 1

Thank you ATR.

Hopefully SmartSound will provide the solution on how to make it available in PE 11.

In the meantime, I have another question for you:

If I have unfinished project and upgrade PE 11 to PE 13, will I be able to open this unfinished project in PE 13 and have all I did before in the project  (menu, editing, etc.) preserved?

Is PE 13 any better than PE 11?

Does it make sense to upgrade PE 11 to PE 13 if SmartSound will fix the problem in PE 11?

Thanks. Lev.

• 7. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

There is no guarantee that any earlier version project file will open in a later one. Typically the answer is Yes you can, but. The classical response is to complete the project in the program in which it was created.

There are also some considerations involved in doing this when more than one computer is involved. There is the consideration for keeping the earlier version's source media connected to the project file in moving from one computer to the next.

You definitely cannot open a project file created in a later version in an earlier one.

Best work from a copy as a safety net.

Lots of pros and cons. There is a nuisance "no disc in drive" pop up associated with Premiere Elements 11 and SmartSound. This has

SmartSound consideration fixes. But, there have been several "no disc in drive" pop ups reported by Premiere Elements 13 users. In this case, there

is no SmartSound feature to point to for cause and effect.

Let us see how fast we can get more information on this.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

We have our working answer from Frank at SmartSound Customer Service.

I have written this up as a blog post,

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 11: SmartSound Error Windows 8.1 64 bit

but here are the details of how to get your Premiere Elements 11 Windows 8.1 64 bit SmartSound

feature working (it worked for me)....

STEP 1

Get A New Free Serial Number

According to Frank from SmartSound Customer Service

For now, any Elements users who need a free serial number can email us at support@smartsound.com, preferably after creating an online SmartSound account, and we can provide them with a serial number that way.

STEP 2

Entering The New Free Serial Number Into SonicfirePro5.Exe

With Premiere Elements 11 closed.....

Local Disc C

Program Files (x86)

SmartSound Software

Sonicfire Pro 5

and, in the Sonicfire Pro 5 Folder, is the SonicfirePro5.exe which is opened by double clicking it.

Enter the new serial number to unlock Sonicfire Pro and apply all the updates.

STEP 3

Next, Applying Update Patch To Work With Sonicfire Pro 5.7.5

If Sonicfire Pro less than 5.7.5, SmartSound is recommending application of the update patch so that 5.7.5 is in use. See http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates/?product=sfp5

STEP 4

Open Premiere Elements 11 To Find a Working Music Tab/"Use SmartSound" feature.

Please let us know if this works for you also.

ATR

Add On...Many thanks to Frank at SmartSound Customer Service for prompt and excellent customer service.

• 9. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                          Levalt Level 1

Hi ATR,

I sent email to support.smartsound.com and received response from Frank where he provided me with login name (my email address) and serial#.

I ran SonicFirePro5.exe and entered login name and serial#. Then I ran all updates.

Since I had already applied v.5.7.5 patch before, I just opened the project in PE 11 and was able to run SmartSound through <Use SmartSoud> button.

It WORKED!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Lev.

• 10. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Wonderful, wonderful news. Thank you for asking the question.

We could not have gotten to the resolution of the issue without the customer oriented SmartSound Customer Service and its representative, Frank.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problem with SmartSound in Premire Elements 11.
                              Levalt Level 1

Thank you very much!

It was a pleasure for me to work with you on this problem!

I am glad it is still OK to use Premiere Elements 11 and I do not need to waste money on upgrade to the latest version of Premiere Elements.

Lev.