3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2014 5:43 PM by areohbee

LR 5 still displays "loading" even for 1:1 previews in Develop

AdbeOper

I've read through the how to speed up LR posts such as this one:http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html and this one:http://www.slrlounge.com/school/speed-up-your-workflow-by-rendering-11-previews-in-lightro om-4/ and have also increased the RAW Cache folder size from 1GB to 20GB, And have purged and rerendered at 1:1 and Optimized the Catalog.

But I still get the "Loading" delay each time of click between images in the Develop Module.

I get a loading/re-rendering EVEN IF I DID NOT make any Develop changes. Just clicking back and forth between two images in Develop Mode re starts the loading.

This happens when working offline with Smart Previews as well which means to me that file size is not a factor.

What is the explanation?

• 1. Re: LR 5 still displays "loading" even for 1:1 previews in Develop
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom Develop Module does not utilize the Previews. The previews are used when browsing in the Library Module.

The develop module has to render the original file and whatever develop work is associated with the file.

• 2. Re: LR 5 still displays "loading" even for 1:1 previews in Develop
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1:1 Previews are utilized in the library module. In the develop module, data has to be loaded from the catalog to ensure that you are seeing all of the adjustments you have made.

• 3. Re: LR 5 still displays "loading" even for 1:1 previews in Develop
              areohbee Level 5

As DdeGannes and Jim Hess already said: "that's normal" - it's how Lightroom works, for everybody.

It is after all a non-destructive editor, which means there is an image which never changes, and a set of adjustments in the form of data in a table in a database called the catalog. - it takes a while to prepare for editing, each time (regardless of library preview availability).

That said, the sliders are available and you can go to work before loading is complete, granted it still takes a second or two, or three, depending on file and machine..

Note: you can turn the "loading..." indicator off, which helps to feel better about editing as soon as Lr is ready (before loading is complete).

PS - because of this, it behooves to do most culling in library module with up-to-date previews, and reserve develop module for true photo-by-photo final edit refinement.

PPS - Make sure you're friends with 'Quick Develop' so you can do initial coarse development work in library module - no loading required...

Rob