13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 1:07 AM by Energi.design

After Effects rasterize ai file

mortosdefome

I'm working in After Effects, and I imported a ai file in compositions, because I need to animate the layers.

The problem is that the vector turn into rasterize image appearance.

And I've tried to activate the continuously rasterize button, but doesn't work.

Solutions please.

• 1. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can know anything. Instead of providing exact info and screenshots you are losing yourself in vague and generic "This doesn't work." descriptions. Nobody can help you without proper details about your program versions, system, the structure of the AI file and appearances used and whatnot. For all we know you used something liek a drop shadow in AI and the file is already rasterized due to that or something similar.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turning on CR for layers will only work if the layers do not have raster effects applied. For example, if you have a drop shadow applied to a layer in Illustrator then the layer is treated as pixels in AE and the CR switch will not do anything to repair the edges when you scale up the layer.

If that is not the problem and you are new to AE then there is something wrong with your workflow. Continuously Rasterize and Collapse transformations have worked exactly the same way since they were introduced and every time I've seen someone have problems they are improperly using the tools.

• 3. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
              mortosdefome Level 1

Well, I’m working in windows 8, in after effects cs6 and illustrator cs6.

The file, I save in ai (cs6) with the options on of “Embed ICC Profiles” and “Create PDF Compatible File”.

In the file ai, I don’t have any type of transparencies. And I didn’t do any rasterize.

Then after I prepare the file in this way, I open the after effects and import in composition, for be able to use the layers in separate.

But when I zoom in, this happen (in image).

This is the first time this is happening and I am asking for solutions, after I look in google for answers.

Captura de tela 2014-10-27 08.41.54.png

• 4. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file

You do not have CR turned on. It's the second column after the layer name. You also have the comp zoom factor set to 400%.

• 5. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you scale your layer up, you won't have those problems, but you've zoomed in your composition viewer. AE will only ever show you the actual comp pixels in the comp viewer. When you zoom the comp viewer in, you are just zooming in on the pixels. Keep your comp viewer at 100% and it will always be crisp, no matter how much you scale your Illustrator artwork (as long as you have the "Continuously Rasterize" button checked for that layer).

• 6. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                    mortosdefome Level 1

Yes, I know.

But if I have the button on, the rasterize continues (image).

Captura de tela 2014-10-27 15.21.42.png

• 7. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mortosdefome wrote:

But if I have the button on, the rasterize continues (image).

This is because you are zoomed in on your comp viewer.

If you zoomed in with a camera in your comp, you wouldn't see this issue.

Keep your comp at 100% in the viewer and it will stay sharp.

• 8. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                        mortosdefome Level 1

Ok, I understand.

But if vector,  is not supposed to be pixelated even in after effects. Or it is?

• 9. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file

You are not understanding the zoom factor. This does not scale your layer, this zooms in on the comp so you can see things at the pixel level just as scaling the view in Photoshop works.

If you scale your layer 800% using the scale property and turn on and off CR you will see how CR works.

• 10. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                            mortosdefome Level 1

Yes I noticed some difference when turn the CR. And use camera for zoom, instead of zoom in the viewer.

Well, I think I understand.

Thank you all, and I sorry for any kind of trouble, I may cause you.

• 11. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                              Energi.design

Hi Anabela,

No worries at all, it's why we're here to help with such things. As the guys above mentioned, if you have a layer imported from AI and turn on the Continuous Rasterisation button in the switches column, AE will render that layer as sharp as the original file, no matter how big you scale the layer inside AE. So if you select the layer, hit S for scale and change the value to 1000%, the edges will still look sharp. However, if you then zoom in on the composition window as a whole — the same as you would in Photoshop to zoom in on the file and get a closer look at the artwork — then this will always "appear" pixelated as (like Photoshop) the end result of an AE comp is always pixels, for video. The only important factor is when the comp window is viewed at 100% actual size, your edges of your scaled AI layer remain sharp, and that's the purpose of the CR button (until you get into nested 3D compositions, then it has a whole extra functionality).

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you might be having? Happy to help if you have any more questions.

Steve

--------------------

Steve Holmes

Creative Director

Energi.design, Munich

• 12. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                                mortosdefome Level 1

Hi Steve

Thank you for your answer. Yes I understand what I have to do, and what I should not do.

Thanks again

Anabela

• 13. Re: After Effects rasterize ai file
                                  Energi.design Level 1

Hi Anabela,

You are most welcome

Steve

--------------------

Steve Holmes

Creative Director

Energi.design, Munich