8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 10:17 PM by Migintosh

Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break

patrick923@mac.com

Hello,

I am using InDesign Version 2014.1 on a Macbook Pro.  Operating System is OS X 10.10

I like to use the Page Break option, located on the Type Menu.  When I enter the Keyboard shortcut on my Macbook Pro laptop, it doesn't work.  So, I went to modify the shortcut but was asked whether I want to create a new set of shortcuts.  That sounds complicated to me, and I am wondering why the default shortcut does not work.   Is there something special about using a mac laptop that prevents the shortcut from working? 

Patrick

• 1. Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On a MacBook Pro laptop (like I use as well), there is no dedicated Enter key because there is no numeric keypad.

Page Break (Type > Insert Break Character) is Command + Enter.

You can do it on your keyboard by adding the Shift key. That would be Command + Shift + Enter.

It's not hard to set up your own set of shortcuts. Just give it a name, like "Patrick's Shortcuts" and choose it instead of the default set, which cannot be modified.

• 3. Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break
            patrick923@mac.com Level 1

Hmmm....actually, I had not actually tried "adding the Shift key. That would be Command + Shift + Enter" when I typed my previous message here.

Now I've tried it, and what appears on my screen is a new panel (to me) called "swf preview".   No page break.   ?

Patrick

• 4. Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're correct.

Your best bet is to click in the text and either choose Type > Insert Break Character > Enter, or right-click and choose that from the context menu.

• 5. Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break

Apparently this is a problem that has received considerable attention in the past. Using a google search I found a discussion on the Adobe Forums about OS X and keyboard shortcuts that began on July 27, 2014 by "kimmydesign".  He had problems with InDesign CC2014, which is what I am now using. 

I just "moved up" to InDesign CC2014 from version 5.5.  All of my shortcuts worked using that version, also on the Macbook Pro I am using now.

I used that shortcut a lot and will miss it.  But maybe it won't matter much longer as I have a new mac on the way.  Its an iMac.  so  I am hoping that all of the keyboard shortcuts will work on that. 

But now I am curious and am going to find an old Mac Keyboard....the extended keyboard with a numeric keypad built in, and see what happens when I hook it up to this MacBook Pro.

• 6. Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break
                  Migintosh Level 4

KB.jpg

Try using the Fn key with the regular Return/Enter key. My 2007 MacBook Pro has a second set of characters silk screened on some of the keys that indicate what they will do when the Fn key is depressed. You can, for example, have the layout of the number keypad on some of the standard letter keys if you are more comfortable using the numbers of a 10-key pad (JKL=123, UIO+456, etc.). I'm not on my laptop now, but if you look at the keyboard viewer, you might see what else the Fn key can do.

• 7. Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break

Hi and Thank you, Migintosh.  Yes, I see what you mean about the fn keys.  Interesting using the Keyboard viewer.  I tried that combination (fn- enter/Return) on my Macbook Pro, but it still didn't work.  

I decided to try a suggestion made earlier, to make a new set of Keyboard Shortcuts from within InDesign, and that worked fine.  So, now, with the new set of shortcuts, I can enter Page Breaks easily, just like I used to. 

I use InDesign almost every day, and have used the enter page break keyboard combination a lot, so I'm glad to have it back. 

I am starting to like this new version of InDesign.  I have been using 5.5 since it came out, whenever that was. 

Thank you for your help. 

Patrick

• 8. Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Page Break
                      Migintosh Level 4

For what it's worth, I used to typeset music notation with a program that relied heavily on the 10-key pad, so I got an external standard Mac keyboard for my MacBook. If working outside of your home or office isn't the main part of what you do, you might consider getting one, as the aren't that expensive, and they give you a good bit of flexibility.