8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 9:27 AM by A.T. Romano

stabilizer creates wired distortions

mpospiech

I have a video of my daughter taken with a DLSR from free holding with some furniture in the background. The camera is wobbling slowly in x and y, not in angle not in zoom, hardly in z (I was sitting).

The stabilizer creates a video with my daughter very stable. However the background is completely messed. The straight lines are bending, have curves. Almost all kinds of effect you get when you try correct distortions in a video/photo.

How can I set up that only the xy-movement is stabilized and nothing else is done except cropping?

If the stabilizer can only work the way I experience it it would mean for me that it is unusable.

• 1. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mpospiech

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you using Premiere Elements 13 with its new Shake Stabilizer or an older version with the Video Stabilizer/Stabilizer?

If the Shake Stabilizer of Premiere Elements 13, have you read the following?

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Stabilize video footage with Shake Stabilizer

If you have a Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit computer, note that Movie Maker 2012 has a new Video Stabilizer. You may want

to try that and compare the result with that from the Premiere Elements Shake Stabilizer or Video Stabilizer.

With the information requested, we can fine tune a response.

ATR

• 2. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
            mpospiech Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 13 with Windows 7. I compared it against the stabilizer from cyberlink power director 13 which creates a video with fixed, cropped and scaled settings by default, but without all the image distortions.

• 3. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
              mpospiech Level 1

I uploaded examples of the video to show the effect. Most of the video is black, because I do not want to publish any person in the video. The problem is not effected by that.

Premiere Elements 13:

- using smooth motion, smoothness 100%

- Stabilize, Crop, Auto-scale

- Rolling Shutter: enhanced

http://www.matthiaspospiech.de/files/extern/AE13StabilizedandCropped.mpg

Compared with Power Director 13: default settings

http://www.matthiaspospiech.de/files/extern/PD13StabilizedandCropped.mpg

• 4. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mpospiech

Your links are no opening for me.

Can you send the samples as Dropbox links that can be opened in this public Adobe Premiere Elements Forum?

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video? I will try to get some sample from that camera

and give the file a workout with Shake Stabilizer Premiere Elements 13.

Also, I am wondering if a screenshot (jpeg) would show the problem?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
                  mpospiech Level 1

Here the downloads from a webpage. The links should work:

Video Examples | Matthias Pospiech

The camera is a Nikon D5100. Video are recoded in the live view mode with Auto Settings (ISO is up to 3200).

• 6. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mpospiech

I finally managed to download the sample files in post numbered 3 of your thread, and I went for them for the Premiere Elements 13 Shake Stabilizer and CyberLink Video Stabilizer comparison.

Essentially I did not confirm your observation of distorted background with bent lines. The background for the 13 looked a bit less stabilized than the CyberLink sample. In addition, I found some downloadable Nikon D5100 samples online and took them into the Premiere Elements 13 Shake Stabilizer. No problems, except that the process takes a long time. And, rendering time for the stabilized video is considerable.

But, how did you get those MPEG2.mpg files that you posted? The Nikon D5100 samples that I downloaded from a web site were AVCHD.mov.

A very curious observation was made when I decided to import your two samples into a Premiere Elements 12 project (I did not have 13 available at the time.)

The sample with the Premiere Elements Shake Stabilizer stabilized video imported great. The CyperLink stabilized video (supposed same video source as the 13 one) imported with green video.

Tomorrow I will take your two samples into a Premiere Elements 13 project to see if I get the odd import for the CyberLink stabilized video.

More later.

ATR

Add On...Decided to check out the unexpected behavior of the CyberLink stabilized video in Premiere Elements 13 project - same green video and

erratic display as seen in when Premiere Elements 12 was used......Premiere Elements 13 Shake Stabilizer stabilized video, fine.

• 7. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
                      mpospiech Level 1

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The file that I posted are the processed ones. Not the original. The original file is of course a mov file. I can set the original mov file, however only as a private message and it should not be published.

• 8. Re: stabilizer creates wired distortions
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mpospiech

Thanks for the follow up.

How about this idea to protect your privacy.

Use the Nikon D5100 to record some video (maybe just a scene that has lined objects in it, no people) with a camera shake comparable to the original footage that started this thread. And, then send that Nikon AVCHD.mov via link in thread or private message (confirm beforehand that what you are sending has or has not the same problem as the video that started this thread. Then I will apply the Premiere Elements 13 Shake Stabilizer to it and see what happens.

That suggestion brings up another point. Have you seen the Shake Stabilizer issue with all the video from that camera or just this one file?

Please let us know if you are OK with that plan.

Thank you.

ATR