2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 2:26 PM by divyamanian

Why are 1. raster images converted to smart objects after placement and 2. raster images placed as smart objects (using "place embedded...") upsampling differently with extract assets?

ethangodt Level 1

I'm trying to develop a retina workflow in photoshop for web projects. In doing this I found a strange irregularity in photoshop using smart objects and Photoshop CC 2014's new asset extraction.

Essentially what is happening is that when I import an image into an already open photoshop document and make that raster image a smart object (either by importing it using the "place embedded..." option or by converting the image to a smart object after placing it) I am getting different results when I try to extract those images at 2x using the new extractor. Of course you will have to perform a transform on the image to scale it down in the photoshop document after the raster images are smart objects (i.e. I know that 2x of the original smart object size will still be blurry — that's not what I'm doing). The image that is converted to a smart object after it's placed saves as 2x perfectly clearly and the one that was "place embedded..." comes out blurry as if it wasn't a smart object at all.

What should I do about this?

Maybe my premise is bad...  are these two options different ways of accomplishing the same thing?