1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 26, 2014 4:05 PM by Jao vdL

LR5 Graduated filters not applied to final image

scootrock

I have recently had an issue using the graduated filters in the LR5 develop module.  While in the develop module (working with a raw image (panasonic GH3)), I can apply and use graduated filters without issue, but when I switch to the library module or export the image , the changes disappear.  I have shot a few test shots since and worked with some old images and I cannot reproduce this issue.  I have the same problem with every image from a single import.  There have been no changes in settings on the camera or in Lightroom.  I did use a new memory card, but I doubt that the card is the issue.  Attached is a screen shot of the image while in the develop module (right) and library module (left).  Anyone have ideas on how to fix this problem or avoid it in the future.

Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 2.34.58 PM.png

• 1. Re: LR5 Graduated filters not applied to final image
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is probably actually not the graduated filter not working, but the preview in Develop not being reliable when zoomed out. I've run into this with my own star images. This often comes up in images such as this with lots of fine structure. The noise reduction is not shown reliably in Develop when zoomed out. Then when you switch to Develop, it creates a good preview image that does have noise reduction enabled and suddenly your images appear different and less punchy especially when you have lots of little star points. It is actually more representative in these conditions. Make sure you zoom into 1:1 to really judge what is happening. At 1:1 the preview is correct in Develop when you have lots of fine detail. You probably have a graduated filter with clarity here? That is notorious for not previewing correctly with such images in Develop. To test whether the filter actually takes, do something extreme such as a few stops of exposure or so.