10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 5:47 AM by Steve Grisetti

Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?

Evander2

I manipulated some images using Perfect Photo Suite 8.  I "tweaked" some contrast and the still images look fantastic, however, when I burn them to DVD using Premiere Elements the images deteriorate significantly.  Is it due to file size when creating layers? 

I used Elements for many years and burned over twenty pretty high quality DVDs. This is the first time I've come up against this problem and I'm sure it relates to how I'm using Perfect Photo Suite 8

• 1. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you also scale your images for the size of a DVD?

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798 may help

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Evander2

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos being imported into Premiere Elements with the destination for either

DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 or DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9? How many photos in this project? And what project

preset are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting for the project so that the project preset matches

the properties of the source media?

On the other hand, am I assuming correcting that you are burning your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO? Are you instead

burning your Timeline to AVCHD format on DVD disc with Premiere Elements? If you are not, please try to so that

we have compare the results for a DVD with HD content with one with SD content.

Lots of details to work through before we implicate Perfect Photo Suite 8 in your results.

Not sure what you meant by

Is it due to file size when creating layers?

There are no layers in Premiere Elements - tracks or a filmstrip...and pixel dimensions rather than file size would be

the key factor.

Please consider and then we can customize a response to your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
              Evander2 Level 1

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll answer these the best I can. 

Please see below.

• 4. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Evander2

Thanks for the reply. Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

But, there was nothing at the end of your post number 3 in your thread, except "Please see below."

Please try to post the information again when you get the time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
                  Evander2 Level 1

Sorry.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0 on Windows 7 OS.  I have 16 gigs of RAM.

Two examples of images that deteriorate:   4320 X 3240 @ 180 ppi and 3456 x 2304 @ 72 ppi.

Destination was DVD-Video 4;3 Standard

503 images in the project with about four minutes of video

I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as "project preset". (manual or automatic)

I am burning to DVD-VIDEO

As far as "layers" I'm probably more referring to file size.  Several of my images are incredibly sharp with great detail but they deteriorate greatly on Premiere Elements.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Evander2

Thanks for the reply. Please excuse any of the following which you may or may not realize. I did not want to take anything for granted.

No matter how great the resolution of what you import into Premiere Elements, it will be reduced to the resolution of the standard of the export choice.

In you are in a NTSC setup, that will be 720 x 480 4:3, a far comparison to your originals which are 4320 x 3240 4:3 and 3456 x 2304 3:2. So we need to

sort out whether we are dealing with expectations or with an end product that could be better with some adjustment to the workflow. One way to gauge what might be going on is to take your Timeline content to AVCHD format on DVD disc (1920 x 1080 16:9) with some adjusts to your source media for the 4:3 to 16:9 look. Does that quality better meet your expectations for disc end product. To be considered, although AVCHD DVD can be generated using a regular DVD/CD burner, it cannot be played back on a "regular" DVD player attached to the TV.

As for project preset/project settings, when you open a new project, either you (manually) or the project (automatically) needs to set a project preset to match the properties of your source media. When the program is allowed to do this, it does this automatically based on the properties of the first file that you drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. If not, then you set the project preset yourself File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

The project preset setting is significant in that it directs the program as to what space to give you in the Edit area monitor for editing.

If you go with the project setting the project preset automatically, you can determine what the program set for you by viewing the readings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General - Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if they look grayed out. You do not want 16:9 project settings heading for a 4:3 destination.

What are the properties of this video that you are bringing into this project - among other things 4:3 or 16:9?

If the project is giving you its default project settings (1920 x 1080 16:9)...consider setting the project preset manually to NTSC DV Standard 4:3.

With 502 photos @ 4320 x 3240 4:3 or 3456 x 2304 3:2 each, consider resizing them to the not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels in order to make the workflow go

smoother and not stress out the project. But, you could push your luck and resources and try to let the project take care of the scaling automatically

to the project settings.

Lots to consider. We will be watching for further details and results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
                      Evander2 Level 1

ATR

You're correct, there was a lot to consider.

Let me begin by saying that I've created many DVDs over the last 3-4 years using the same camera and same setting with great success.  For example all of my images from my last Europe trip were 3456 x 2304 @ 72 ppi  (22.8 MB) and they burned to DVD with great clarity and resolution.

This is the first time I "tweaked" some images on Perfect Photo Suite 8 and that's why i questioned whether modifications I made impacted the ability to create a DVD using Premiere Elements 11.

Per one of your recommendations I reduced the size on about twenty of my images to 1920 x 1280 and burned a DVD. They images deteriorated even further.

I continue to believe that the manipulations I performed on Perfect Photo Suite 8 have significantly impacted the ability to use them in a video on Adobe Premiere Elements. Again,these images will be wonderful for print.

Creating a DVD that cannot be played on a "regular" DVD player attached to a TV is not an option since this is the whole point of creating the show to begin with.

Am I just out of luck on this project? 

Thanks

• 8. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Evander2

Thanks for the reply.

If you have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit and you have defined your computer resources limitations previously in this environment, then you should be in fine shape to produce a good quality end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. I mentioned AVCHD on DVD for troubleshooting purposes to make sure we were not involved in the old story of expectations versus actual results using high resolution images in a DVD-VIDEO product.

Have you done a mini test run of same photos tweaked and untweaked with the 3rd party software to support your concern

I continue to believe that the manipulations I performed on Perfect Photo Suite 8 have significantly impacted the ability to use them in a video on Adobe Premiere Elements.

that would seem your definitive proof.

When I have photos that I want to present with the best possible sharpness for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen, I use the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.27

coupled with Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Photos are often cropped/resized beforehand to about 1920 x 1080 16:9 for a smoother workflow, although I have successfully

used higher photos without cropping/resizing (sizing similar to what you are using). And, I have not been tweaking the photos with Perfect Photo Suite or other.

Although the above goes to sharper images, it is not your question. I think your answer should come from

Have you done a mini test run of same photos tweaked and untweaked with the 3rd party software to support your concern?

ATR

• 9. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
                          Evander2 Level 1

A.T. Romano

Sorry I  haven't responded.  We've been on an extended overseas trip with little, or no, internet access.  We're off to Africa in a few days and when I get back I'll put all of yours (and others suggestions) to work to see if I can resolve this issue.

Regarding Perfect Photo Suite 8:   I printed one of One of the images that I manipulated on this application and it is crystal clear and incredibly sharp.  the 11 x 14 print is great,  however, it is completely useless when I insert the image into Premiere Elements 13.  It completely deteriorates.   This is what led me to believe the issue could relate to Perfect Photo Suite 8.  I love this application but I'm wondering if I need to use it strictly for printed material.

Thanks again

Steve B

• 10. Re: Why do images deteriorate when using Perfect Photo Suite 8?
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please note that ATR left this forum earlier this year and will not likely respond to your post.

If you'd like, you can restart your discussion in a new thread and someone else may be able to help you.