6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 12:59 PM by Warunicorn

what is a good graphics tablet for pc?

drummerdaddy

I'm thinking about getting a decent entry level graphics tablet for my PC to use with Ps CC and Lr5. Not looking to break the bank, but I don't like throwing money away either. Any Suggestions?

• 1. Re: what is a good graphics tablet for pc?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

How big is you bank $220 is what a small Wacom Intuos Pro go for.  They also have a cheaper line of tablets.  Both lines work well. If your an artiest that is use to painting on large media you may prefer a larger tablet.  Many will tell you get the medium size tablet. The small is smaller takes less desk space and easier to hold in your lap.  Works great with Photoshop.

• 2. Re: what is a good graphics tablet for pc?
            drummerdaddy Level 1

Thanks JJMack,

I'm just starting out using Ps CC. I have been using Lr for a couple years and still have lots to learn. I'm a hobbyist photographer and have been taking some great pictures and now I would like to up my game a little. $220 is not out of the question, and I do like quality investments. My primary use for a tablet is to have the ability to make accurate, detailed and precise selections while using Ps. I'm not much of a drawing artist so I'm looking at the tablet as more of a very accurate mouse to help me with my future Ps creations.

• 3. Re: what is a good graphics tablet for pc?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

If you consider a layer mask and other brush type operation to be selections which they are you will be extremely happy.  I use a mouse for most things.  However when in Photoshop with brush type tools the mouse is not in my hand.

The Wacom Pen model is less then half the cost of the Pro model and may have less levels of pressure however I can not tell any difference between my old Intuos 3 1024 levels and my Intuos pro 2048 levels.  The Pro model has buttons and features not on the lower cost products. But I'm not that coordinated that I use the buttons that much. I still seem to use the keyboard short-cuts along with the tablet.

• 4. Re: what is a good graphics tablet for pc?
                rkelly0137 Level 4

+1 for the Intuos Pro.  And I recommend you get the small sized version.  Unless you have formal drawing training (i.e. you bend at the elbow, not the wrist), you don't need anything larger.  In fact, I map my small pad to be even smaller, about ~2/3 of the active area.  I don't want to move my arm all over the place just to move my cursor.

As for accuracy, I believe the Intuos Pro is as accurate as anything else out there.  There might be some high end tablets, but as far as consumer grade.  If you need more accuracy you simply zoom in.  With a decent computer and scrubby zoom it's seemless.

I upgraded from an older Bamboo series to the Intuos Pro.  Mostly just as a treat to myself, as my Bamboo still functioned fine.  But the Pro has much more sensitive surface, can sense angle, and just feels more solid in my hands.  I also really like the wireless feature.  It's money well spent if you do a lot of graphics, in my opinion.  I can't use a mouse to do PS anymore, it just feels clunky.

• 5. Re: what is a good graphics tablet for pc?
                  rkelly0137 Level 4

drummerdaddy wrote:

My primary use for a tablet is to have the ability to make accurate, detailed and precise selections while using Ps.

I just reread this and wanted to point one thing out.  I'm not sure how you make selections, as there are many ways, but I use the pen tool quite a bit.  And it's the one thing that I still use a mouse for.  I've always wondered if there's a better way to do it with a tablet, but since you hover the pen over the surface and have to tap down to make a point it's not always perfectly where the cursor was; I actually find the mouse far more accurate for this use.

The tablets primary benefit (other than just being more comfortable than a mouse) is the pressure sensitive part.  I primarily use it to control flow and I feather in masks with it all the time.  There are a million variations, but in one form or another you're usually painting in something.

• 6. Re: what is a good graphics tablet for pc?
                    Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

+1 on just getting a graphics tablet no matter the choice. Love mine just for masking alone.

Should also note that the Wacom Intuos consumer line (not Pro) comes with full software versions such as ArtRage 3 Studio (plus there's an offer to upgrade to the full-on ArtRage 4.5 for a nominal fee). Very cool to have if you're into natural media painting with the added bonus of being able to work with/export PSD files.