10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 9:41 AM by Tim Kurkoski

Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on

BeratT Level 1

Hi. I m work with Ari Alexa footage as shown VIDEO: After Effects and Alexa - The Expurgated Version by ChrisZwar And I enebled mercury transmit in video preview preferences. When I want to ram preview After effects does not preview in real time. In info window appearce red text fps: 0,6/25 (NOT realtime) Note: project working color space is on

What should I do in this case

• 1. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BeratT wrote:

What should I do in this case

Provide more information to help us figure out the problem.

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking questions?

What hardware are you using?

You haven't told us what version of AE you're running. (We'd need to know the complete version number down to the last decimal.)

We don't even know what OS you're using.

• 2. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
            BeratT Level 1

You're right. I'm sory.

AE:13.1.1.3

HP z420 WS İntel Xeon E5-1650 3,2 GHz

16GB ram

Nvidia Quadro K5000

But I don’t think the problem is related with the configuration. We’re using different type of computers(include Mac) here and they all have the same problem. I'm wondering, if the real time playback option is disable, while colour management is on? If so, I like to report it and expecting an improvement about it.

• 3. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What hardware are you using to preview?

• 4. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
                BeratT Level 1

2014-10-27 18-39-34 Preferences.png

I don't use extra hardware for video preview. I want to use my second monitor. My monitor is plugged DVI-D port Enable this settings AE send to full screen preview of my comp to the second monitor. But it is not real time. 

2014-10-27 18-47-29 info fps.png

• 5. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

How are you doing the RAM Preview?  What key(s) are you hitting to do it, or what are you clicking on?

• 6. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
                    BeratT Level 1

of course 0 (zero)  on numeric keypad

• 7. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
                      Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

BeraT, if you disable Display Color Management (View menu > Use Display Color Management) and Mercury Transmit, do you get real-time playback during RAM preview?

Display color management and video preview in After Effects both impose a processing burden. As each frame is sent for display, additional work must be done to apply a color transformation or a dimensional transformation, respectively. If you have both color management and video preview enabled, both transformations are applied, plus an additional color transformation for the Mercury Transmit monitor. None of these transformations are cached, they are done live, on-the-fly and require additional processing at playback time.

The net result is that both color management and video preview require more processing power during playback. Larger frames, higher frame rates, and higher color bit depth increase the amount of processing power required, due to the increased memory requirements of the frames.

A faster processor would help give real-time playback more often, but you can also increase playback speed by lowering the memory requirements of the RAM preview frames: reduce the resolution in the Composition panel or the playback resolution in the Preview panel, reduce the project's color bit depth setting, or reduce the Frame Rate or increase the Skip rate in the Preview panel. Disabling the Use Display Color Management option will also help, as it removes one of the processing steps.

All of that aside, if you aren't able to achieve real-time playback when both Display Color Management and Mercury Transmit are disabled, that tells you the problem is coming from somewhere else. You'll need to provide more information about what's happening in your comp.

• 8. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
                        BeratT Level 1

Thanks Tim. Normal ram preview it's ok. My problem is starting when color management is on. Thanks to you, I understood that it was not possible. I can't disable color management. Because it's necessary for this project. I turned off Mercury Transmit. It's ok. Thanks for all

• 9. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Is it an absolute necessity to have color management on just to check the timing of an animation?  Not really -- you're checking motion, and you can check colors after you've checked the timing.

Is it an absolute necessity to have color management on to check a color correction in real time?  Not really -- you gain very little checking a color correction in real time; you're checking colors and not motion.

So while it's annoying that AE can't do both at the same time, it won't impede the quality of your work, which is the important thing.

• 10. Re: Realtime Ram Preview Fail in Color Management is on
                            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

BeraT, have you tried adjusting the settings in the Preview panel? This will reduce the memory requirements of the frames and free up processing time so you can keep both color management and video preview enabled. It's understood that you'll be making a compromise one way or another, but if a slightly lower frame rate or resolution gives you an acceptable preview, then you can continue to work with Mercury Transmit enabled. It's your choice, either way, but I want to make sure you're aware of the alternatives.