7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2008 7:24 AM by Newsgroup_User

Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps

nanovation
      Does anyone know of a Fireworks Hotspot Tool or Plugin for quickly and easily creating MANY complex hotspots at once?

As an example, I have a map of all the counties in California at http://www.commercialpropertyappraisal.com/images/usa/california_large.gif. As you can see, there are almost 50 complex counties that I need hotspots over.

Instead of taking 2 hours to draw them all by hand (for each and every state in the US), is there some plug-in that would allow me to use the Magic Wand Tool to highlight the county and then click Create Hotspot for an exact (or very similar) overlying hotspot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
      Brendan
        • 1. Re: Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps
          Level 7
          $14.95 could buy you one of these, save you a bunch of trouble...

http://www.maps4.com/samples/california_map_sample.html

Peter
          easily
          | creating MANY complex hotspots at once?
          |
          | As an example, I have a map of all the counties in California at
          |
          http://www.commercialpropertyappraisal.com/images/usa/california_large.gif.
          As
          | you can see, there are almost 50 complex counties that I need hotspots
          over.
          |
          | Instead of taking 2 hours to draw them all by hand (for each and every
          state
          | in the US), is there some plug-in that would allow me to use the Magic
          Wand
          | Tool to highlight the county and then click Create Hotspot for an exact
          (or
          | very similar) overlying hotspot?
          |
          | Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          |
          | Sincerely,
          | Brendan
          |

• 2. Re: Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps
            Level 7
            wow! those are worth twice that much for sure :)

PJR wrote:
            > $14.95 could buy you one of these, save you a bunch of trouble...
            >
            > http://www.maps4.com/samples/california_map_sample.html
            >
            > Peter
            > ____________________
            > "nanovation" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:etpldv$233$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > | Does anyone know of a Fireworks Hotspot Tool or Plugin for quickly and
            > easily
            > | creating MANY complex hotspots at once?
            > |
            > | As an example, I have a map of all the counties in California at
            > |
            > http://www.commercialpropertyappraisal.com/images/usa/california_large.gif.
            > As
            > | you can see, there are almost 50 complex counties that I need hotspots
            > over.
            > |
            > | Instead of taking 2 hours to draw them all by hand (for each and every
            > state
            > | in the US), is there some plug-in that would allow me to use the Magic
            > Wand
            > | Tool to highlight the county and then click Create Hotspot for an exact
            > (or
            > | very similar) overlying hotspot?
            > |
            > | Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            > |
            > | Sincerely,
            > | Brendan
            > |
            >
            >
            • 3. Re: Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps
              nanovation Level 1
              Great suggestions. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I already spent $300 buying all the state county maps :-(

Any other suggestions? Any quick way of creating image maps for all the US counties?
              • 4. Re: Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps
                Level 7
                Sorry, there is no 'quick' or efficient way that I know of. Not sure it
                would be legal either, are your maps free of copyright?

If so, I would perhaps attempt to create it in Dreamweaver using the Polygon
                Hotspot tool, but the whole idea sends shivers down my spine.

"nanovation" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:etqa29$p6m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                | Great suggestions. Thanks.
                |
                | Unfortunately, I already spent $300 buying all the state county maps :-(
                |
                | Any other suggestions? Any quick way of creating image maps for all the US
                counties?

• 5. Re: Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps
                  nanovation Level 1
                  I purchased the maps and have the rights to use them on my website.

I already know how to use the Polygon Hotspot tool. That would take forever.

That's why I'm looking for a plug-in or off the shelf software that enables me to use the magic wand tool to click on a county and then press a "make hotspot" button that would make a hotspot the same shape of the county.

Thanks for the help anyway. If anyone knows of such a solution, please let me know :-)

Thanks!
                  • 6. Re: Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps
                    Claude_T
                    nanovation did you find away round this problem, as I am currently in need of such a plug-in, I have an image and I want to use the Magic Wand tool to highlight the a specific area in the image, then convert that highlighted area into a hotspot. Would appreciate it very much if some one could let me know how I could go about doing this, thanks in advance
                    • 7. Re: Automatic Hotspot Creator For County Maps
                      Level 7
                      Claude,

Once you have selected the area with the Magic Wand Tool go to Select >
                      Convert Marquee to Path. Then right click inside the path and select
                      Insert Hotspot.

alex

Claude_T wrote:
                      > nanovation did you find away round this problem, as I am currently in need of
                      > such a plug-in, I have an image and I want to use the Magic Wand tool to
                      > highlight the a specific area in the image, then convert that highlighted area
                      > into a hotspot. Would appreciate it very much if some one could let me know how
                      > I could go about doing this, thanks in advance
                      >