7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 9:30 AM by Quigago.com

Alternative to Chroma Key?

Quigago.com

I'm trying to find the simplest way to remove the background from video footage. I have a green screen but the models outfit is mainly green and blue. I haven't shot the video yet so I'm looking for either a better way to film this or to edit it.

• 1. Re: Alternative to Chroma Key?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only alternative to a chroma key is rotoscoping. The new Roto Brush does a good job of removing the pain of roto on some shots, but on others you have to do the tried and true method.

More tips on rotoscoping here: Managing and animating shape paths and masks

Resources on the Roto Brush here: Roto Brush in After Effects

That being said, there are things you can do to make chroma keying a shot like this easier. Lighting is one thing that will make a world of difference.

Keying tips here: >Greenscreen and Bluescreen Checklist

One specific thing that might help is a really tight junk matte: Creating Super Tight Junk Mattes

Is there any way to change the wardrobe of the model?

What kind of green and blue are we talking? And what sort of fabric?

What does the rest of the model look like? I've known folks to use a red screen (or some other color) when shooting green or blue objects. I mean, if your model isn't human or is wearing a lot of makeup, you could push it to make it far enough from red.

Anyway, like any composite, you're likely to need to use a number of techniques to get it right.

• 2. Re: Alternative to Chroma Key?
            bogiesan Level 4

You can spend a couple of hours on the net looking up chromakey repairs.

Back in the olden days, before the keying filters were as good as they are now, we would use several copies of the foreground footage, stacked up on top of each other, and apply different filters or masking to each. Sometimes we'd apply a huge chroma boost or contrast enhancement to a layer and then pre comp it with its own keyed. Sometimes we'd create a mask on a layer and roto its size and position frame at a time to, say, clip out a green tie or a green/blue embroidered logo.

Are you locked into green? You can key off just about any color if you have the proper separation and lighting.

• 3. Re: Alternative to Chroma Key?
              Quigago.com Level 1

Thanks for responding. I watched a video on rotoscoping earlier today. I'm an aspiring videographer and just started to experiment with Green Screens and studio lighting, etc. I'm fairly new to editing with adobe software so I may be in over my head, but I have a project I want to do so I'm learning this. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish...

I make my own costumes for Halloween every year and I like to make a short video. This is last years video (if this link works)...

This year we are going as The Jetsons. I will be Jane, my boyfriend will be George and our son will Elroy. I want to put us in front of some Jetson's backgrounds from the actual cartoon. It would be easy editing by chroma key except Elroy's outfit is green and George's pants are blue with a green belt. They are made from cheap material by the yard from a craft store and are almost exactly the same color as a green or blue screen. I tried using a red background but it affected our skin and hair color, as well as the orange collar that Elroy wears. I could probably film Elroy in front of a blue screen and George in front of a green screen, and only his belt will disappear. If there isn't a way to bring the color of the outfit back, what can I do while filming to make editing easier when I figure out how to do it?  I can take all the time I need to figure out how to edit this but I have to film this Halloween night, so in 4 days. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• 4. Re: Alternative to Chroma Key?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are using Keylight and it change the color but the key is good, then you can simply use your keyed layer as a track matte for a copy of your footage layer. That way you'll have a good key, but with the same colors.

However, rotoscoping may be your best solution. Make sure you have the hair as slicked down as possible so you don't have to worry about too much detail.

• 5. Re: Alternative to Chroma Key?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pick a different color background. You don't need green or blue. It just needs to be saturated and not in the orange (skin tone) range. Do some experimenting with fabric samples and you'll find a color that works. You could take Photos of each character in costume, cut them out in photoshop and then drop them in an AE comp with different colored backgrounds. Now nest that comp in another comp (same as selecting all the layers and pre-composing) then try using key light. When you find a color that works with the costumes and doesn't give you trouble with the flesh tones go buy some fabric or paint that matches and you should be good to go.

• 6. Re: Alternative to Chroma Key?
                    bogiesan Level 4

Rick Gerard wrote:

Pick a different color background. You don't need green or blue. It just needs to be saturated and not in the orange (skin tone) range. Do some experimenting with fabric samples and you'll find a color that works. You could take Photos of each character in costume, cut them out in photoshop and then drop them in an AE comp with different colored backgrounds. Now nest that comp in another comp (same as selecting all the layers and pre-composing) then try using key light. When you find a color that works with the costumes and doesn't give you trouble with the flesh tones go buy some fabric or paint that matches and you should be good to go.

Yeah. That's already come up.

>> Are you locked into green? You can key off just about any color if you have the proper separation and lighting.<<

• 7. Re: Alternative to Chroma Key?
                      Quigago.com Level 1

Yes, I was using keylight. I think I'm going to film in front of a green screen and try to edit using chroma key. I'm new to layers, masks, track mattes, etc. so it's a little overwhelming having endless possibilities. If that fails I'll try rotoscoping. Will it make rotoscoping more difficult if I film a green outfit in front of a green screen? Or would it be worth buying a blue screen, filming the characters separately, and then put them both on the same background in the final edit? It'll probably take me a while to figure out how to edit this, I just don't want to make any huge mistakes in filming and have to dress up again and reshoot. Thanks again for your help.