12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 11:30 AM by A.T. Romano

can the curser stop start be changed

Derek Ellison

Can the curser function be altered

• 1. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

HI Derek,

Could you please elaborate your query here?

Thanks

Sandeep

• 2. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Derek Ellison

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

By the nature of your question, I am suspecting that this is a Photoshop Elements Editor question involving

Edit Menu/Preferences/Display & Cursors where you can set for Painting and Other Cursors for Standard or Precise

and other.

There are no such options in Premiere Elements. Could you be using a pen and tablet instead of mouse for Premiere

Elements?

Lots of questions, and the answers are in the details which you have yet to presented.

Looking forward to your reply to Sandeep Singh's and my questions.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If this is a Photoshop Elements question, please re-post your question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum or wait

for a moderator here to see your thread here and move the thread from here to there.

Photoshop Elements

• 3. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
              Derek Ellison Level 1

Hello Sandeep.  I am new to premier13 previously I have used pinnacle 15 or iMovie 10.  In these programs when I click on a clip in the time line the curser moves automatically to the chosen clip.   At the moment in premier I have to physically move the curser to the clip I want to work on.  I am using the expert mode. I realise that in the simple mode the curser jumps to the clip ..  Can't understand why it does not do so in the expert mode.  Hope you can help.   Derek Ellison

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Derek Ellison

From your description, it would appear that, when you refer to "cursor", you are referring to the Timeline Indicator (Expert workspace). Is that correct?

Expert workspace - Click on the Work Area Bar in the spot directly above the clip to command the Timeline Indicator to that spot.

If the clip is not selected, you will still have to click on it to select it.

Move.jpg

I am not seeing any way to change that behavior in the Expert workspace.

ATR

• 5. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                  Derek Ellison Level 1

Dear A.T. Romano.    That was a great help - selecting the clip and clicking above brought the timeline indicator to where I wanted it to be .   Thank you.  By the way could you advise me on how to see the length in seconds of each individual clip

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Derek Ellison

The following should work with or without the clip actually being highlighted/selected....

Move the mouse cursor over the title of the clip.....a pop up should appear displaying

File Title

Start

End

Duration

Duration.jpg

ATR

• 7. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                      Derek Ellison Level 1

Thanks again you have been very helpful.  Slight problem every clip comes up with the same duration 11.50.18  Is there a reason for this? Best wishes Derek Ellison

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Derek Ellison

Is it possible that all your clips could be the same duration? Please cross check what you are seeing in the Timeline versus what the file's Project Assets thumbnail gives for duration.

Please review the following and then me know if you can see a difference between the two of us in this Timeline display.

First clip duration = 00;00;25;00 which represents 25 seconds.

durationproof2.jpg

Second clip duration = 00;00;05;00 which represents 5 seconds.

durationproof1.jpg

ATR

• 9. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                          Derek Ellison Level 1

The Project Assets shows the correct length of the clip - while the timeline shows all clips are the same length.   When you play the timeline the clips play for the correct number of seconds i.e. all clips are different lengths.   On the timeline the clips all look different lengths.    Is there a default that I can adjust?     Sorry for being a nuisance but thanks again for your advice Derek

• 10. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Derek Ellison

When you hold your mouse cursor over the title of a Timeline clip, do you see the pop

up as shown in my screenshot with 4 catagories.

Name of Clip

Start

End

Duration

Are you reading the 4th category named Duration? Please give the readings for each of the 4 categories as shown in the pop up for the first clip on the Timeline.

There is no default that you can adjust. What you see is what the program is interpreting for that particular clip in its particular TImeline

position. I suspect the core of the problem but let us see.

In the Timeline where everything is, you wrote

"....every clip comes up with the same duration 11.50.18".

Please take the Timeline Indicator and move it to the end of the last item on the Timeline.

What is the reading in the Timecode above the Timeline?

Timeline reading.JPG

I am hoping the we can spot the difference between us in this.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If necessary, can you post a screenshot of the pop up that you are getting?

• 11. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                              Derek Ellison Level 1

Received your email and tried your suggestions - these are the results

Start       00  00  00  00

End        00  11  49  00

Duration 00  11  49  00

These were the results from the last clip but all clips on the timeline are showing the same results.

Derek Ellison

• 12. Re: can the curser stop start be changed
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Derek Ellison

That is odd. It would appear that the project is looking at your Timeline content as one continuous file rather than

a composite of several individual ones, each with its own duration property.

Please confirm what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 13 is running on.

I am thinking to have you try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (Premiere Elements Editor Setting File) to determine if

that will have any impact on your situation.

Since you mentioned iMovie a while back in your thread, I will assume Mac for now...since I am strictly an

Elements Windows users, here is my guess as to where the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is in Mac

Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Premiere Elements/13.0.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR