9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 8:38 AM by A.T. Romano

I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.

Halfbodied Jish

When I load in a video file saved as a .avi format that has audio and video included I cannot hear the audio. All that is coming out is what sounds like a swamp wildlife soundtrack on every video (Which is really odd).

How do I correct this problem for Adobe Premier Elements 13?

Thanks

• 1. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Half

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

What are the properties of this .avi file. "AVI" is just a wrapper/container format that wraps the

video and audio of the file. Not all .avi are created equal and can be found with a variety of

video and audio compression.

If I had to take a wild guess at this, I would say you probably have a Xvid.avi file. If so, the situation

affects Premiere Elements (any version). If this were the case, do not use Xvid files ever in

Premiere Elements (any version).

But, the answers are in your details for which we will be watching.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
            Halfbodied Jish Level 1

ATR

The program is being run on a Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Honestly I'm not sure what type of .avi file they are. It is the default file type that comes from bandicam if you know which one that is.

The files can run the audio just fine outside of Adobe fine just not when they are played through it.

Is it still the case that this file type cannot be used in Adobe?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Half

It is very important to sorting this out to know what know kind of avi you have.

See if you can find what it is with GSpot or MediaInfo

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

For now, I am calling it Xvid.avi based on this bandicam document

Bandicam - Configuration - Video - Best Recording Software, Game Video Recorder

You do not take Xvid.avi into Premiere Elements (any versions) without issues.

Convert or determine if bandicam will allow you to customerize to another format.

If available, do not select AVCHD.avi. That will not import at all from all reports.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...we ran into an audio issue like yours a while back...turned out to be due to use of Xvid.avi.

But, let us see if we can know for sure what is going on in your situation.

• 4. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
                Halfbodied Jish Level 1

It is in fact an xvid.avi file.

I did try a video converting program recently, but significantly gimped the qualityof said video. It's there a recommendation for the type needed to keep the file in 1920x1080?

Thanks

• 5. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Half

Thanks for that important information that you are dealing with a xvid.avi file in Premiere Elements. Bad news, for Premiere Elements (any version).

Do not convert to AVCHD.avi or H.264.avi - not supported by Premiere Elements.

Determine if you can convert to AVCHD.mp4 or H.264.mp4. Your converter should allow for a place to set frame width 1920 and frame height 1080 and frame rate as well as video compression (AVCHD or H.264). Under container/wrapper/file extension settings, look for the .mp4.

What video converter are you using?

We will be watching for further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
                    carl77finch

My problem with PrE13 seems similar to Halfbodied Jish's.  I record TV programs

with WinTV from a Hauppage TV tuner card in my computer (Win7, 64bit).  My

wish is to simply edit out the commercial breaks, leaving just the 20-minute "content"

of the typical half hour show. The file that WinTV creates (~3 GB) is an MPEG-2 with:

Video----

length = 00:29:37

frame = 1920x1080

rate = 29 fps

data rate = 24000 kbps

total bitrate = 24384 kbps

Audio----

bit rate = 384 kbps

channels = 6

audio sample rate = 48 kHz

(these are from Windows Explorer's properties display)

When I play the unedited file within PrE13 (trial version) or with VLC, all I hear is the

laugh track (and some of the commercials, but out-of-sync)!

• 7. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

carl77finch

Please determine whether or not your recording device is recording with a variable frame rate.

To do that, take the file into a video audio properties readout program such as MediaInfo (Tree View). If you see 3 frames rates given

for the video, then your video was recorded with a variable frame rate. Premiere Elements often does not usually fare well in that type of

situation. If frame rate found as variable type, next step would be taking the video into HandBrake and converting it to a H.264.mp4 files with a constant frame rate of 29.97 frames per second rather than a variable frame rate.

https://handbrake.fr/

More on all this once we get some further details of your results.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...MediaInfo is a free program and extremely useful, however its download and install can be flawed with unwanted carry along

software. Proceed with caution. If you can get your variable vs constant frame rate information from another source (like the manufacturer of your recording device) best do that. The following is listed as a safe download

http://mediainfo.en.softonic.com/

but I have not tested it. I am working with an older version of MediaInfo where this type of nuisance did not exist.

• 8. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
                        carl77finch Level 1

From the comments on Softonic.com about the MediaInfo "carry along software," I decided to write to Hauppage directly.  Their answer is, yes, their TV recording files are created with a variable frame rate.

But that makes me wonder if Premiere PRO has this same "difficulty."  Even the free Windows Movie Maker can handle variable frame rate.  As can the trial version of CyberLink's PowerDirector.

• 9. Re: I cannot hear the audio attached to video files.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

carl77finch

Thanks for the reply.

The issue of Premiere Elements and source media with variable frame rates is variable. Several have had problem

a. audio out of sync

to

b. not being able to import the file at all

For those, converting the variable to a constant frame rate using a program such as HandBrake has made the footage

usable in Premiere Elements. I have worked with Premiere Elements and iPod video with a variable frame rate and have

had no problems in this regard.

Based on that, for troubleshooting purposes, I would suggest that you take a sample file into HandBrake, convert from variable

to constant frame rate, import the resulting H.264.mp4 into Premiere Elements, and determine if the problem still exists.

But, putting aside the variable versus constant frame rate, if the video compression for your .avi file is Xvid, then that alone

is a major problem whose resolution takes you in the direction of using a file with a different video compression. Xvid video

compression for a Premiere Elements (any version) import is bad news.

From what I have read, Premiere Pro has problem with Xvid and variable frame rates. Best input on that is from the Adobe

Premiere Pro Forum.

ATR