4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 8:08 PM by A.T. Romano

Cannot get any movement in Monitor window when playing a clip (PE10); preview frame of clip(s) simply shows a white screen. Have gone through standard settings analysis, etc.

prman13

Computer stats:

OS = Windows 8.1, 64-bit

RAM = 32 G

Video card = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Project Settings:

Project Settings.JPG

File Properties:

File Properties.JPG

The files were hi-def video clips gathered from YouTube. The stats for these types of files, directly listed on YouTube are:

YouTube Stats.JPG

So where am I going wrong? I have Steve Grisetti's Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe PE 10, but there is no discussion of this problem.

BK

• 1. Re: Cannot get any movement in Monitor window when playing a clip (PE10); preview frame of clip(s) simply shows a white screen. Have gone through standard settings analysis, etc.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

You have come to the right place on this.

Within a 99.99% certainty, you are part of the crowd afflicted with the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce card issue. This is an old story.

The remedy has been to roll back the driver version to about May 2013. But, in your case, I suspect you are in a no win situation because NVIDIA

probably does not have a driver version old enough for your Windows 8.1 64 bit computer.

Let me give you the reading material on this matter for you to gauge the situation.

1. My blog post

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

2. There is an Announcement at the top of this forum which detail in depth the situation and this driver roll back fix.

Two choices might be

1. Since this is a version specific issue, replace version 10, with 11, 12, or 13.

2. In your present computer system, replace the video card/graphics card with a non NVIDIA GeForce one

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot get any movement in Monitor window when playing a clip (PE10); preview frame of clip(s) simply shows a white screen. Have gone through standard settings analysis, etc.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

For your convenience, the following is a copy/paste of the Announcement at the top of this forum on the Premiere

Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue.

Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you

are experiencing Premiere Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of

troubleshooting needs to be rolling back the video card driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.    

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained

workflow glitches specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce

video card. If this applies to you, then the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card

driver as far as is necessary to get rid of the problems. The typical driver roll back has gone back as far as

March – July 2013 in order to get a working Premiere Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has taken any

corrective action in this regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.    

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675    

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us    

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the

driver roll back can be found  http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.html

ATR  

• 3. Re: Cannot get any movement in Monitor window when playing a clip (PE10); preview frame of clip(s) simply shows a white screen. Have gone through standard settings analysis, etc.
              prman13 Level 1

A.T.—

Thanks for your replies and your insights. Before I plump for an upgrade to PE13, I have a few questions:

1. If the problem is the driver for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 video card, why izzit that a previous video that I pulled from a DVD file (DV, 29.97 fps, 720x480) last month showed OK on the Monitor screen (although distorted), such that I could edit it and post on YouTube? Although I am currently trying to edit HD clips also from YouTube, the Monitor screen and preview window don't work at all. Why would it work in one case and not the other? Is it just the HD format? The other option of replacing the expensive, high-quality video card is not a feasible option just for this one program. And the card did not allow a driver rollback to a July 2013 version. The current driver is 9.18.13.4448, issued on Oct. 16, 2014.
              2. When the Monitor did work, I always noticed that, regardless of the crisp resolution of the original clips, the images on the screen were much lower in resolution than the originals. Yet when I burned the finished project to a DVD, or uploaded it to YouTube, the original resolution prevailed. Why is this? Am I to assume that the Monitor screen will always be low-res?
              3. When I called Adobe, the sales people did not know whether PE13 would work with an NVIDIA card or not. They looked it up in their "PE13 issues" notes, and did not identify any problem with NVIDIA. Perhaps their tech people would know.  My instinct is to download the new program on a trial basis and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks again, in advance.

BK

• 4. Re: Cannot get any movement in Monitor window when playing a clip (PE10); preview frame of clip(s) simply shows a white screen. Have gone through standard settings analysis, etc.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Although the NVIDIA GeForce driver version roll back to May 2013 is necessary and possible for many, the users with Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit computers are out of luck since NVIDIA does not appear to have drivers version old enough for them. The problem has never been defined by NVIDIA or Adobe. And the manifestations of the problem vary in the general theme of "display irregularities".

This Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce matter has always been specific for Premiere Elements 10. I have not seen any reports of its appearance in versions 11, 12, or 13. Whether it be this specific situation or other, best go the free tryout route to determine compatibility between the program and your computer environment as well as between the program and your video editing goals.

There have been several major removals from Premiere Elements 13

1. no more flv/f4v exports

2. DV and HDV Capture gone

3. No support for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Mac OSX 10.7

4. Removal of VBR, 2 Pass for Bitrate Encoding in several export choices

to name a few....for fuller details...

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 13 First Look Details

Thanks for your follow up. Appreciated.

ATR