27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 4:11 PM by caffesse

RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)

AllTheGoodNamesAreGone Level 1

Still getting red frames with MXF files in this latest version of Premiere. This has been going on since 2013 with other formats as well.

Is there a fix for this in the works? Seems like with each update, Adobe fixes one thing and breaks another

• 1. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
          A.Kubba Adobe Employee

Hi,

Are you working on Windows computers or Mac?

What is the source of the files?

Have you tried cleaning the Media Cache?

Did you try to work on Software Only Mode?

Thank You

Arjun

• 2. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
            AllTheGoodNamesAreGone Level 1

Yes, have deleted cache and tried various suggestions in the forums. Nothing seems to help. Have not tried software only mode

The only thing that temporarily solves it is restarting Premiere... I'll get a few minutes of editing without the issue, then it just pops back up.

Any bug fixes in the works??

Premiere CC 2014 8.1.0 (81) build

Mac OS 10.9.5

GTX680 card

MXF File details:

Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal)

File generated by: CANON, EOS C300 PL (1.00)

MPEG-2 422 Long-GOP

• 3. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
              5neaky C Level 1

Hello,

I feel your pain here.

There does not seem to be a fix for this. ( if you found one please share )

I know that for some people whom I work with, that clearing the cache before exporting, works only sometimes.

The red frames may be in the time-line, but don't always show up in the export.

Its totally random and unpredictable.

I am taking all new projects back into CS6 for editing until the problem is resolved.

CC 2014 is to buggy.

• 4. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                digitlman Level 1

I have been having a terrible time with this also. I work in a tv station and we only deal with XDCAM MXF files and we are constantly getting frame error reports in CC which for some crazy reason it decides to put up a bright red frame in its place. The same files loaded from the same fibrechannel SAN into any machine with CS6 do not show red frames and do have the correctly decoded frames displayed.

We have been struggling with this, as a licensed customer we have a dozen machines waiting to be upgraded to CC version but we cant with this issue. we keep having to go back to CS6 for projects.

I had to finally come post here as for the first time now I just rendered an XDCAM50 MXF file from Premiere CC and imported it back into the same program on the same computer and got a red frame 10 seconds into the file!

This is ridiculous, we have spent countless thousands of dollars on Adobe software, this is unacceptable and needs to be fixed!

all machines are windows 7 with CC/CS6 installed

• 5. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                  duttyvannier Level 1

SAME ISSUES!

We use C300's on so many jobs and trying to use source files is practically impossible now.

If there's a fix, anyone out there!?

• 6. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi DMan,

Are these new projects or projects you updated from an earlier version of Premiere Pro? We are seeing some customers that have seen errors like this in updated project files. Can you test with new files in a fresh 8.1 project?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 7. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)

Hi Duttyvannier,

duttyvannier wrote:

SAME ISSUES!

We use C300's on so many jobs and trying to use source files is practically impossible now.

If there's a fix, anyone out there!?

Is this a problem with new projects or ones you updated from earlier versions? Try a new 8.1 project file that has not been updated.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 8. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                        .mxf referencing error

I have had similar MXF problems - on the earlier version, the MXF's would all be referenced to the first in the folder (all subsequent spanned files would play only as the 1st).

The work-around, which I never tried, was to remove any non MXF files in the folder.  This work around, in the current version, causes the red frames.

If you don't remove the non-MXF files, the same referencing problem occurs with the spanned files.

This is a problem regardless of whether it is a new project or an old one.

Premiere 5 did not have this problem.

It is taking way too much of my time and it is incredibly aggravating to the have the 'upgrade' not work at all.

Who the heck is beta testing the first and all of these subsequent upgrades?  It's a huge problem.

Macpro 5,1 (8-core 2.4gHz), 30GB ram.

OS 10.9.2

• 9. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                          RobSher1 Level 1

Hi Kevin,

I work in downtown Seattle and would be happy to supply you with a USB disk so you can troubleshoot this issue if you're not able to duplicate it in-house.

I'm running on Windows 7.

Rob

• 10. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                            robotboy66

I'm experiencing the same issue with a new CC 2014 project.  Red frames everywhere.  Some are 6 frames of red into a clip.   Like most of you, it's a huge wrench in my project.  It seems like it's happening where ever I split the clips.  (some) of the starts of those clips have red frames.

HELP adobe staff!! Please!  Any updates or plans to fix?  Please keep us paying subscribers informed.

I'm on a PC (and also tried on a Mac) working with c300 footage.  CC 2014

THanks,

Josh

• 11. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                              RobSher1 Level 1

I meant to say that I have the project on a USB disk that you could use to troubleshoot the problem if you can't replicate it in-house.

• 12. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                moblur

Hey guys, to my dismay I am having the same problems as everyone else. We work primarily with MXF files out of our Canon C300.  My edit files originated in CS6 but recently bit the bullet and upgraded to CC 8.1.  Things were going along fine, then all of a sudden I found that certain clips would freeze mid stream, or display RED frames.  I am running Premier on a Mac Pro 12core, OSX 10.9.2.  Oh one last detail, the files where edited on a PC in CC 8.1 before I opened them on my mac, so am not sure if that could have caused an issue?

PLEASE ADOBE - help us with this, our deliveries (read livelihood) depends on this software functioning - I have downloaded the FCPX trial - I really don't want to have to even consider switching flows...

• 13. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                  Stormy3000 Level 1

Having same issue...

Premiere CC 8.1 on a mac... cannot import new XDCAM footage into a fresh project or see footage in an older project. Used to work perfectly...

Massive issue...

Please fix now....

Thanks

Jon

• 14. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                    Rob Neal Level 1

Ditto same here. Latest CC update on PC, Canon XF305 1080p 25fps, 30 mins split across two files.
                                    I desperately need a solution to this as I have deadlines to meet.

• 15. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                      KERoslev

I have the same problem. Latest CC update on Mac Pro OS 10.10, Canon XF305 1080p 25fps.

I am considering finding other editing alternatives. This is very frustrating Adobe!!!!!!

• 16. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                        Rob Neal Level 1

Have you tried opening a new project, and importing the clip onto the timeline? It seems to fix the problem then, allowing re-export an replacing in your main edit project.
                                        Doesn't fix all of them, but might help the odd few.

• 17. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                          KERoslev Level 1

No Rob, I haven´t tried that yet, but a workaround, if you have the time, is to convert the MXF file to HD mp4-file and import it. Then it runs as it should. So it has to do with the MXF- format obviously.

I will try your suggestion as well - Thanks.

• 18. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                            Rob Neal Level 1

Converting to MP4 wont help easily unless you have a converter that can read XML conform data. The MXF format is a standard H.264 codec inside but it's the XML metadata that configures it. That is why you must transfer over the complete file structure from the card, not just the video files. Sometimes you will see a number of files in the folder, if you import the first of those, Premiere reads the XML data and appends the other files so it appears as one single clip in the timeline. Should that file gets mangled for any reason, you can be in trouble.
                                            Also it seems to be specifically Canon pro video cameras causing the problem (DSLRs use MOV), I haven't had Sony or others do it.

• 19. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                              BrunoMars

Hi Rob

I found that going back to Canon XF Utility and simply exporting the MXF file on its own and re-naming it - i.e Fix-AA2711 solved my issue, I simply re-imported the revised MXF files only that XF Utility and matched up the timecode to the clips that were giving me grief on the timeline and that seemed to get me back up an running.

I am starting to become more and more distrustful of all this cloud based SAS, last week Yosemite gave me a nightmare (released with too many bugs IMO) and now the same with Adobe CC. Nothing is working properly at least with CS6 it was rock solid stable. I am really thinking about going back and saving my money.

• 20. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                                BrunoMars Level 1

In XF Utility simply go EDIT - Export to MXF FYI.

• 21. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                                  cswalsh

I just started having this same problem with MXF files from a Canon C500.  Have tried cache clearing etc. but it pops up randomly.  Thumbnails in timeline will suddenly go red (which may or may not be red on export).  Adobe help suggestion of  either "using the next frame or getting a new copy of the clip" is not a real solution.  The clip was fine, then suddenly not fine.  I imagine it's a GOP splitting problem, that CC doesn't know how to interpret the Canon MXF.

If we should be transcoding MXF footage before using it in PP CC, then just tell us that.  Of course if I have to make everything into Pro Res before editing I might as well be cutting in FC 7.  Fewer tools, but no monthly subscription and no red frames.

• 22. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                                    alexojedav522

I am having this issue now, never heard of this problem until now. And its happening inside projects that had been ok since a few months back when I finish them. I just went in to export again some of the sequences and now the red frames are all over like a plague. Its Canon footage from an XF300. Ive deleted media cache files, digital rebellion house clean, and now that I want to restart premiere it keeps on crashing while loading the media files, I relaunch again and it loads some more files and goes  a bit further until if finally stops crashing after 3 -4 times. I tried the following solution suggested by an Adobe guy: offline clips, delete media cache, save project, close project, link again, and the red frames were gone from the timeline, but they did show up in the exported movie!! I need to deliver this to client this Monday!! Is there any fix to this? I been using this project for a few months exporting movies with no problem until now, but I haven't changed anything in the project. What caused it? What should I do to fix this asap. Please help! Im running premiere Pro 8.1 caravan OSX 10.9.2

• 23. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                                      jawlor79

I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with the random red frame plague. my current set up is a brand new Sony PXW X200 with the latest version of premiere cc 2014. During export, the final video created a totally unudable video that has the aforementioned red frames that makes thus set up impossible to rely on

I have spent three hours each day last week going around in circles with the Adobe online support team, unsuccessfully getting this problem solved. No one seems to have an answre for me which makes it even more frustrating to deat with. All I got was a not so reassuring "

as of now as there is no update we might not be able to give you a fix.... but soon this will be fixed"

i was told by Adobe on Twitter thst Kevin would be able to help me out with this... Kevin, any suggestions??

Johm Lawlor

• 24. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)

Hi Jawlor,

I responded via PM. As was mentioned, try emptying the media cache before exporting. Otherwise, you might try some of the other acquisition formats of the camera for different results. If nothing works for you, transcode the footage before editing until the bug gets fixed. Painful, but you won't get red frames. Of course, please file a bug report here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Thanks,

Kevin

• 25. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                                          chipsnguac Level 1

I've been beyond frustrated with this problem in my new Adobe CC products. I've finally found two solutions that keep me sane. I'm only working with 4k MXF files from a Sony FS7, but I hope this may be helpful to you!

1. For red frames appearing on export only between linked projects in After Effects and Premiere, I've found cleaning media caches seconds before creating the export saves my output from the dread red frames. The longer it sits between the media cache clean up and the instant I hit "export," the more red frames I end up with...

2. Yesterday, I accidentally stumbled upon a solution for a file that contained several red frames in the Premiere CC timeline, and freakishly numerous red frames on the export.  I'd originally saved the clips in their native folder structure from the camera, and placed that two folders deep within a media folder on an external hard drive (so, at the root level of the drive, my folder structure was: Media -> ProjectTitle -> XDROOT -> Clip -> filename.MXF).

Solution: I moved the MXF files (with all of their XML and BIM data) into a folder above the XDROOT and Clip folders (my drive folders now look like: Media -> ProjectTitle -> filename.MXF). When I re-linked my files to the new location, the red frames disappeared on the timeline and in my exports. I've tried this on two projects and eight or so exports, and haven't had the problem come up again yet...

I hope this works for you, or that you're able to find a solution! I've lost countless hours trying a bazillion "tests" to figure out the problem since I started working with MXF files in CC a few months ago.

1 person found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)

Hi Chips n Guac,

I've been beyond frustrated with this problem in my new Adobe CC products. I've finally found two solutions that keep me sane. I'm only working with 4k MXF files from a Sony FS7, but I hope this may be helpful to you!

Thanks for those tips!

Kevin

• 27. Re: RED FRAMES with MXF files in latest Premiere CC2014 update 8.1.0 (81)
                                                              caffesse Level 1

When will Adobe have a fix for this?

We ran across it today in our offices and in 5 minutes of online searching discovered that people have been reporting this same issue for years.

Our projects are all new projects - not updates.
                                                              We are on MacPros running Yosemite.

Footage came from Canon C300.

Premiere CC version 8.2.0 (65) build