15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 3:17 AM by BorghoutsDesign

Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?

acker125

So i've been messing around with Ray-Tracing in After Effects, and it's been going great. The problem I seem to be having however is when I export. Everything looks as it should in my Comp, but when I export, the text that was Ray-Traced doesn't get exported in 3D but rather in normal 2D. I'm not sure if I missed clicking on a setting or what, but i've tried different methods and nothing seems to work.

I've exported through AME in both .mp4 and .mov and have gotten nothing. Then when I try and export straight through AE is freezes after like the 5th frame.

Specs:

AE CC 2014 (Most current update as of Oct. 28th, 2014)

Retina MacBook Pro - OS X Yosemite - 2.3 Ghz i7 - 16GB Ram - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750m 2048 MB

You can reference to the pictures for an idea!

Thanks ya'll!

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 10.43.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-28 at 10.43.26 AM.png

• 1. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your memory and multiprocessing settings?

What are your render settings when you render directly out of AE?

(Screenshots might be an easier way to show these settings.)

Try rendering an image sequence out of AE (like a PNG sequence).

And, just to check, your AE version is 13.1.1, right?

Also, if you're not under a tight deadline, you might consider using the more-powerful way to get 3d in AE: details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects I mean, it's free!

• 2. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
            acker125 Level 1

Szalam,

I am on AE 13.1.1

And i've tried many different render settings out of AE, but everytime I try and export from AE it only does about one or two frames then it freezes but acts as if it's still rendering.

I tried exporting as a PNG sequence and I still don't get any 3D.

Attached you'll see a screenshot of my settings.

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 1.09.11 PM.png

• 3. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?

Can you do a RAM preview?

• 4. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                acker125 Level 1

I can. Everything acts normal, it's just that when I export it doesn't show up 3D like it normally does. I just don't know if there's a button that I need to click in order to export with ray-traced or something?

• 5. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?

I'm pretty sure rendering with the Media Encoder doesn't use the GPU to accelerate the ray-traced renderer whereas AE can be setup to render it much faster. I wonder if you're having an issue with your GPU (although, if it creates a RAM preview just fine...)

http://adobe.ly/AE_basicsWell, the good news is that, if you can create a RAM preview, you can simply save the RAM preview as an intermediate file!

• 6. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                    acker125 Level 1

This is what is looks like when I try and rend out from AE. It basically freezes, but the application itself doesn't freeze? I'm just confused as to why what i'm seeing when I ram preview doesn't get transferred over when i'm exporting?

Also, what is this intermediate file you speak of??

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 1.57.05 PM.png

• 7. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?

I usually render out of AE into an intermediate format. It's something I've always done.

An intermediate file uses a codec that's lossless (or nearly lossless) that I can then use in the Adobe Media Encoder or an NLE (Premiere, in my case) for further work or can pass on to a client or another member of the team.

I like this because it means I have a master, lossless file for archive, but ALSO, I have an already-rendered file for trying out different encoding settings to get the best quality at the needed data rate. If a client needs a video to be under a certain file size or data rate, it may take me a few different tries to get the h.264 file to look good. If I render off of an intermediate file, I don't have to wait hours and hours for a complicated AE scene to render with depth of field, nice shadows, and hundreds of thousands of particles flying around. I just toss the intermediate file into the AME and am on my merry way in minutes! (or seconds)

Popular intermediate file types are QuickTime with the PNG codec (technically lossless), QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec, Cineform, and DNxHD (those three are not technically lossless, but close enough for most work).

No matter what kind of format you want to use, you can save a RAM preview without having to render it again. I'm just suggesting that you do it into an intermediate codec.

Composition>Save RAM Preview. More info here: After Effects Help | Previewing

• 8. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                        BorghoutsDesign

I have the same problem.

I see that this is an old post but the problem remains. Did you ever found a slution for this?

Thnx.

M.

• 9. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?

BorghoutsDesign wrote:

I have the same problem.

I see that this is an old post but the problem remains. Did you ever found a slution for this?

Thnx.

M.

Please share a lot more information about your issue so that we can help solve it for you. Exact version number of AE, OS you're using, hardware, etc.

• 10. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                            BorghoutsDesign Level 1

My bad,

At first it didn't work at all and after some Googleing I had to delete the CUDA files/installation.

After this I was able to create a 3d logo with Ray-Traced.

However if I export with Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015 It doesn't render the 3D part.

This is my setup

Mac: Pro (early 2008)

OS X: 10.11 (El Capitan).

Processor:  2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 18 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

VideoCard: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Software:

Adobe After Effects CC 2015

Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015

I understand that my CPU takes all the hits rendering en such but this is what I have to work with!

I hope it can be done.

Thnx.

M.

• 11. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

if you are experiencing different result between Ae preview and AME it's probably because AME does not import your render settings when you drag and drop to AME or use the Add to AME Queue option. if this is the case you can make sure your preview has all the switches and settings the way you want it to render i.e what you see in Ae is what you get AME - current settings behavior.

Watch this for more information:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCrkb59aaqlnevtOwsmDfS9w?

• 12. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                                BorghoutsDesign Level 1

I export from Ae to AME like this:

Schermafbeelding 2016-10-06 om 11.43.27.png

I always do it this way. maybe I should first save it and then add it to AME.

I don't really know what to do with the link you provided. It gives me a list of videos to watch...

Thnx.

M.

• 13. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are using Ray-traced rendering is it very important that you use the Render Cue to export a production master using one of the default output module settings like Lossless and then open that file in the Adobe Media Encoder to render your compressed deliverable file. Not following this workflow may result in extremely long render times and poor quality results.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I don't really know what to do with the link you provided. It gives me a list of videos to watch..

I sent you the wrong link. here is the video:

at 04:12 I examine the differences in the render settings workflow between Ae and AME.  if you are using 2015.3 you can use to Queue in AME and you will have the render settings

I export from Ae to AME like this:

Schermafbeelding 2016-10-06 om 11.43.27.png

this way, you won't get the render settings, but only current settings. in the tutorial there is an explanation what to watch out for.

I always do it this way. maybe I should first save it and then add it to AME.

no. it won't matter

Rick pointed out that you can do this in another way - render a lossless version in Ae, and then use this file to encode in AME. this is also explained in the video. 1:22

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Ray-Tracing 3D Exporting?
                                      BorghoutsDesign Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I'm gonna take a look at the video and see if I can understand this.

I'll let you know!

Thnx.

M.