4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 6:26 AM by Szalam

Animation of real life objects

Fregata

Hello to all, I would like to know, if after effects can animate real life objects or I need and another program to do so?

• 1. Re: Animation of real life objects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do you mean by your question? AE can't make things move in real life - just on the screen.

You can easily make some things that look realistic move around in AE. And there are some things you can't. For example, don't expect to animate Optimus Prime battling it out in the forest using just AE, but you could easily make a box float up off the ground and bash someone in the face.

• 2. Re: Animation of real life objects
            Fregata Level 1

Thank you Szalam,

You got what I meant...

• 3. Re: Animation of real life objects
              bogiesan Level 4

But the box wouldn't be in the shot with the victim. It would be composited. Later. Might be a still photo of a box, might be a movie of the box. You're masking it or keying it. Maybe you're keyframing the position of the box. Which is not a box at all, it's just an image of a box. So when it hits the victim, it will only deform or exhibit ballistics if you know how to do that kind of stuff in the application or you do single-frame animation of the box which AE does not do very well. And your actor has to react to a box that isn't really there. What about shadows? Since the box probably isn't in the original shot, when you add the box in the compositing run, should the invisible box now cast a shadow that wasn't there either? Sound effects.

• 4. Re: Animation of real life objects
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

fregata wrote:

Thank you Szalam,

You got what I meant...

Okay, well the answer is that "it depends". Some things are doable and others aren't.

Keep in mind that it can take years to become familiar enough with software like After Effects to do really good work with it in the realm of realistic special effects. There are many different ways to do things and each shot might require a different one of them.

I've been working with After Effects for over a decade and I'm still surprised by the results some people have gotten out of it.