6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 2:10 PM by ECBowen

Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 GPU upgrade

bifurk

Hi,

I do most of my work in AE CS6 and CC, video edit in PP and use C4D. I want to upgrade my GPU and cannot seem to find the right info. Should I use a GTX 680 or a AMD Sapphire HD 7950? I don't use Ray-Tracing in AE. I'm looking for fluid workflow with better preview and hoping for better rendering time. Would I benefit from the CUDA or invest in a AMD? So many info out there... Thanks a lot for your help.

Mac Pro 5,1 12 core 2.4gHz

OS X 10.8.5

32 GB RAM (planning on adding more)

OS and Apps on OWC Accelsior_E2 PCI Express SSD

SSD for cache

Work on a SSD through my PCI Express eSATA 6G

• 1. Re: Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 GPU upgrade
          jasonvp Level 3

bifurk wrote:

Should I use a GTX 680 or a AMD Sapphire HD 7950?

Head over to the MacRumors forum and look for a user called "MacVidCards".  Or hunt for some of this stuff on EBay.  The reason I say this is: Dave will flash just about any PC-based nVidia card so that it runs properly in a Mac Pro.  So you don't need to buy "old tech" such as the GTX680 (which is 2 generations old at this point).  As long as the GPU can be powered by the available plugs in the Mac Pro, Dave can make it work properly in the OS.

If you're dead set on commercial cards that are supported on the Mac without going through a 3rd party, I'd recommend the GTX680.  OpenCL (which runs with the AMD cards) is still in "catch-up" phase with nVidia's CUDA.  Both from an Adobe perspective as well as generically.

• 2. Re: Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 GPU upgrade
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Get the Nvidia card since Cuda outperforms Open CL right now with Adobe. AE will not use the GPU accept with Ray Tracer and that is Nvidia only. Premiere will use the GPU and Cuda is what you want for that right now. I would also suggest looking at Octane for C4D since that is the GPU renderer for C4D.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 GPU upgrade
              bifurk Level 1

Thanks a lot for your replies. I will definitely check MacVidCards and try Octane. Will Adobe continue working with CUDA? I just want to make sure it will perform as well (if not better) in the future. And I'm curious, will I see a big difference while working on the timeline and as a general working experience?

I heard there is different drivers for Nvidia and CUDA. Should I get the latest or a specific driver depending on my OS?

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 GPU upgrade

Yes Cuda was the original MPI used for the GPU acceleration and by itself still has better performance than Open CL. That evolution is not going to change any time soon.

OSX has separate drivers for the Nvidia card and the Cuda support. That is something specific to OSX. Nvidia updates both with the video driver in Windows.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 GPU upgrade
                  bifurk Level 1

That's good to know, thanks a lot! I'll try a Nvidia card then. Should I upgrade to Maverick or Yosemite, would that make any difference in running AE and PP?

• 6. Re: Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 GPU upgrade

That probably depends on which card you get.

Eric

ADK