Always difficult to answer a question without seeing the actual set-up used for Bullets and Numbering. However,my initial thought would be that the numbered list style you are using restarts at the start of a new Story. Stories in InDesign are a series of threaded text frames. When you create a new series of threaded text frames you could see your numbering start with 1 again.
To resolve this issue you'd define a numbered lists that is set-up so that it continues numbering across stories, and you'd associate this list with the numbered paragraph styles in your document.
Step 1 - First define a new list:
- Choose Type menu > Bullets & Numbered Lists > Define Lists.
- Click the New... button.
- Name the list e.g. 'myNumbers', and select 'Continue Numbers across Stories'.
- Click OK, and OK again to close the Define List dialog box.
Step 2 - Next associate your list paragraph styles with the newly defined list.
- Locate the paragraph style(s) in the Paragraph Styles panel.
- Select each style, and choose Style Options from the panel menu. The Paragraph Style Options dialog box for the select style opens.
- Select Bullets and Numbering on the left. Change the List setting from [Default] (or whichever is selected there), to the List you've created in step 1.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for each paragraph style.
Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! This worked. I didn't even think about the threaded text being the issue.