14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 7:21 AM by Szalam Branched to a new discussion.

AE upgrade now presets don't work?

Patrick de Level 1

Hi adobe community,

Just recently upgrade my AE via the desktop ap (I have full CC) and now my animation presets won't work? I get an error box

( 0 :: 1 )

After Effects error: Can't import file "Fade Up Characters.ffx": unsupported filetype or extension

AE 14.1.1

I am trying to get the presets out of Bridge - do I need to also upgrade bridge? I can't see an upgrade for it on my desktop ap.

Any help would be great thanks

Pat

• 1. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Do these animation presets work when you use them directly from the Effects & Presets panel in After Effects?

How, exactly, are you opening Bridge?

What exact versions of After Effects and Bridge?

In your Bridge preferences, under Startup Scripts, is the startup script for After Effects CC 2014.1 (13.1) enabled?

• 2. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

This is fixed in the After Effects 2014.2 (13.2) update, which is now available.

Details here: http://adobe.ly/1IVopxh

• 3. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
              Phil@fxplus.ac.uk Level 1

This bug is still not fixed - using Adobe After Effects CC v13.2.0.49.  Importing an animation preset via Bridge still gives the message "After Effects error: Can't import file "Transporter.ffx": unsupported filetype or extension (0 :: 1).

Edit:  Using iMac's (24 in a whole class environment) running the latest version of Mavericks, this issue has been ongoing since August and no matter what update is brought out the issue is never fixed!  I have even completely uninstalled Adobe CC, repackaged a brand new build (since the "fix" update came out), re-installed and it is still the same.  Absolutely appalling on our behalf as an educational institute.  Our PC suite with the latest versions of Creative Cloud apps do not suffer this same problem.

• 4. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Phil, a specific bug was fixed in After Effects CC 2014.2 (13.2) that prevented application of animation presets from Bridge on any OS. I can confirm that this bug was fixed on both Mac OS and Windows.

You're likely seeing a different cause of the same problem. Two questions:

1. What version of Bridge is installed on your computer?

2. In Bridge, go to Preferences > Startup Scripts. In this dialog is After Effects CC 2014 listed, and is it enabled? If it is not present or enabled, that would explain the problem. A reinstall of Bridge and then After Effects will usually restore the proper scripts, though if you've already done so then I suspect that something may be failing with your install configuration. If you are using custom permissions on your student machines, that could be interfering with the script either being installed or initialized as expected. You'll probably want to contact technical support for help with that.

One further note: although browsing animation presets in Bridge provides a larger interface, it's not the recommended method. The Effects & Presets panel inside of After Effects is the recommended path for browsing and applying presets. Bridge does provide animated previews for the presets included with After Effects, not user-created presets; therefore it is of limited utility. The Effects & Presets panel is faster to use and easier to search.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                  Art_Director_Simmons Level 1

This is still broken in After Effects CC 2015.3. It will NOT import or use the Text Animation Presets.

• 6. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                    timm19143494 Level 1

Agreed,

I also agree that the extra step still gets the job done. My frustration comes when I have editors who have grown used to this as a process flow and now is no longer available.

• 7. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                      edgarteran Level 1

I'm Using AE CC 2017 and still have the same problem!  Could someone from Adobe address this issue?

• 8. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                        Art_Director_Simmons Level 1

The presets haven't worked properly in any version of Adobe After Effects CC for me.

Between this and issues with Photoshop and Illustrator, our company has become loathsome of Adobe. The second a viable alternative is available that breaks the Adobe monopoly, we will switch.

• 9. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                          niklasg81310504 Level 1

Don't worry using the animation menu to import your presets.  I got the same stupid import error.  I just open the effects and presets menu on the side to implement the effect.  The one with the blue borders.  It has all the animation presets from bridge but the annoying this is you can't see how they work.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 9.07.49 pm.png

• 10. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                            DianeEliz Level 1

Please excuse my ignorance - I am new with After Effects. I am following a tutorial.

I have this issue with not being able to import animation presets. You say use the Effects and Presets in the side panel

but I am looking to import animated text. There are only two options for this - numbers and timecode...

Its seems to me that the array of animated text presets are no longer available.

I am using the latest in Bridge and After Effects - CC2017. I have purged everything in Bridge.

Its still no use.

• 11. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you type your text out, then go to the effects and presets panel, twirl open the Animation Presets folder, and go to the text options, you can select your type layer and then apply any of the animation presets by dragging from the effects and presets panel or by double-clicking them.

• 12. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                                ambers44392956 Level 1

I am having this exact same issue! My presets in AE window only show numbers and timecode and my browser presets in bridge no longer work and say there is an issue with file extension yet in Bridge it says Adobe Affects Effects 2017 / presets / text /

It is becoming beyond a joke now, I need these presets for work.

Yes my programs are up to date.

• 13. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Apply your presets from the effects and presets panel.

• 14. Re: AE upgrade now presets don't work?
                                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ambers44392956  wrote

I am having this exact same issue! My presets in AE window only show numbers and timecode

You are looking in the effects section. You need to look in the animation presets section at the very top. If it's not showing, you need to go into your panel options for that panel and enable the animation presets.